Problem installing Win7 64bit.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hops, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

I just nuked my hard drive for a fresh OS install from XP. I can't get the x64 disc to install windows. All I get is a message "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you're running."

This happens both when I open it from the desktop (currently have the 32 bit version running) and when I boot from the disc.

Currently running Phenom 9550 cpu, 2gb ram, 7900gtx. The ram and vid card i'm planning on upgrading soon, once i get everything else figured out.

What gives?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

don't do an upgrade install. reboot with the disc in and run the setup. format your drive and install win7 64bit

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't go from XP 32 bit to 7 64 bit as an upgrade. Hopefully you have a full version.

4. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

I have the full version, however, when I boot off of the x64 disc it goes through the initial loading screen, says starting windows, and then it sits at the light blue screen just before it usually fires up, but sits with a crap resolution and a mouse cursor, nothing else.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

how long did you wait? it takes like 5 minutes to load on the light blue screen

6. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

Yea, that turned out to be the problem, though over the weekend I had left it sit there for well over 10 mins, today it decided to pop up after about 3.