Problem getting online

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jbuffethed, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

My computer has XP pro and I am on cable and the internet works fine. I just pieced together another computer with XP, disconnect my computer and hook up the other and I cant get on. Same thing happens to my wifes laptop and another PC that I tried. Does the modem just recognize one computer or what. I never had this problem with DSL a few months back. It puzzles me.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

You could be limited to 1 ip address on your cable modem. You could try a router to split the connection between multiple systems. Dlink, netgear and linksys all make good and cheap home routers for ~$40.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

even when limited to 1 ip, it should work -- because it sounds like you have only 1 connected at a time. Sometimes the CM hands out a DHCP lease, and is stuborn about it... so power off the modem and computer, turn the modem on, let it do its thing, then turn the computer on.

if it still isn't working, then it's possible that the company does mac filtering. Comcast started doing it in some areas, at least. A router with mac-cloning would solve that.

4. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

Something could be wrong with the ISP DHCP server (if there is one), or you may be required to manually enter addressing information. You may also just need to reset your modem, I know I have to when switching computers.

Try this: start > run > cmd

Type in ipconfig /release

wait for a few seconds and it should say ip address and whatnot 0.0.0.0

Then type ipconfig /renew

That may work, good luck

5. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I figured it had to be something like 1 IP, I will try those Thanks

6. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

Could also be the net card driver
    I decided to ditch my wireless a while ago for a couple of reasons one of which I couldn't get it to work in linux and I noticed a funny thing which was that after i plugged the cable in the internet worked great in linux but i got nothing in XP, and no error messages or anything. Turns out I had no driver installed, and I only found that out looking through device manager.

7. jbuffethed

jbuffethed Member

I reset the modem, then released and renewed the IP. IT WORKED! Thanks all:bigthumb: