Problem Downloading Files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by RanciD, Apr 13, 2003.

1. RanciD

RanciD New Member

I'm having a slight problem with downloading files. Well.. not so much a problem is it is my own fault. Normally in Windows XP when you click on a file to download it pops up a nice little window Save, Open, Cancel, etc. options in it and says some stuff about the file. There's also a checkbox there to make it not display that window. Well.. I accidently checked that box and I want to get the window back! Anyway know how to do this? I checked Internet Options pretty much everywhere..

Thanks..

Also, I think it's only automatically starting .zip files now...

2. kazamobah

kazamobah Guest

Fire up regedit(start->run->"regedit") and go to

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main"

and change "NotifyDownloadComplete" to "yes"

3. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Thing is I don't want to turn on Notify Download Complete.. it's already on (you can also easily turn it on in Internet Options -> Advanced). I have a different problem. Thanks anyway though.

4. kazamobah

kazamobah Guest

Sorry, I misunderstood your question.

Are you talking about the "always ask before opening this file type" box?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kazamobah

kazamobah Guest

I think I figured it out.

To fix it go to
    "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CompressedFolder"

and change the value of "EditFlags" to "00 00 00 00". If zips are opening automatically it should look like "00 00 01 00".

I tested this out on my computer. I downloaded a zip file and unchecked the "always ask before opening this type of file" box". I then downloaded another zip. No confirmation boxes popped up. I then made the registry edit and downloaded another zip. The confirmation box popped up this time.

BTW I used regmon in conjunction with this site http://akosgmbh.de/AKosSamples/problems.htm
    to figure it out.

I hope I am answering the right question this time and there isn't a blatently obvious easier way to fix this this that someone will point out :)

6. RanciD

RanciD New Member

Hehe.. I don't think there's a blatantly obvious answer.. I searched for at least an hour through Internet Options and Control Panel. But yes, that's the window I was talking about. I'll be sure to do what you said as soon as I get home. Thanks so much! You're awesome dude. :)

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types->Click file type to change action->Advanced->Check Confirm Open for Download

Setting is for attachments as well