Probably getting a new computer soon

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hurleyint1386, Aug 9, 2008.

1. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

So I've been contemplating getting a new computer soon. My current 17" MacBook Pro Core Duo is nice, but I think it's time for an upgrade. I've been thinking about getting the base Mac Pro with a 23" Cinema Display. I'll probably use it for programming, photography, and run a local web server on it. I can get a hell of a deal on it, so it's really worth it to get. I just need to see if I can fork over $2700. I should really start selling the dual 1.25's I've got that I'm not doing anything with. I'm really excited about getting it! Just wondering, would it really be worth it to get 4 gigs of RAM? ECC RAM is definitely not cheap. What do you guys think?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

why not a big ass imac?

3. ady

ady New Member

I wouldn't buy a Mac Pro or a Cinema display right now unless you really need it or you are talking $2700 for both.

The Mac Pro will likely be updated in January, and although this is still far off as far as a purchase is concerned, the changes are going to be significant if you are looking for a long term performance system. If you don't need to maximize your performance (or I guess investment) then don't worry about it; you might also want to consider the quad core version in that case. Upgrade the RAM, but not from Apple. Get it from OWC (macsales.com) or crucial.

Apple are also rumoured to be updating their displays in January, but I wouldn't let that stop you as they are likely to be high end LED displays and be in addition to the Cinema Displays. I wouldn't buy one as there are better displays out there for better prices. Again if your discount puts it in to the price range of a decent 24" then it's not like it is a terrible display.

4. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

It would be $2700 for the Mac Pro and the Cinema Display. But that is a good point. I might wait until Mac World.

No big ass iMac for me, though. looking for something more expandable.