Probably been done 100000x, but what's wrong with my comp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Thor, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

Last night everything was working fine, but I noticed the video card fan was flying, which it almost never does, especially when I wasn't even doing anything. It's an EVGA 8800GT.

This morning, I went to turn it on, and it popped on, then off real fast twice. (it's done this before when an overclock wasn't stable) Then it stayed on, but there was no display at all, no POST display, boot display...nothing. And the video card's fan never went back to normal speed, usually it spins all the way up for a second, then kicks down to normal, but now it just wizzes away at full speed until I turn everything off.

I've tried reseating the video card, RAM, took the CMOS battery out for a few minutes, tried a different monitor...nothing.

I'm waiting for my brother to get home to ask if I can cannibalize his video card to see if that's the problem. Mobo does not have on-board video, so I can't test it that way. I also get no beeps or anything. Hard drive does spin up with no apparent problems.

Ummm, I think that's everything, lol. Any one have any ideas?

2. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

Switched video cards, and still nothing. Mobo?

3. Saberwin

Saberwin New Member

So no POST, did you get any beeps from the computer like you normally would when you first turn it on? And if so what are they like (how many)?

Just throwing out ideas for you, some things to consider. Maybe your keyboard has fried? Try unplugging all your external devices (USB devices, Mouse/Keyboard). I've heard of a dead keyboard messing with the computer on boot-up.

Perhaps a powercable coming from your Power Supply has come loose? Or the Power Supply may be going bad, check the connections to the motherboard.

And then again it could always be that the motherboard has gone bad. I think if it was a RAM problem you'd probably get a Beep sequence letting you know what the issue is during bootup. Been awhile since i've done computer troubleshooting hope some of these ideas help you fix your problem.

4. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

No beeps at all, I guess I don't really know if it's POSTing or not, since there's no display. The tower did just make a 1300 mile trip from chicago to san antonio in the car, but it was working just fine for two days after being set back up.

I checked all the connections before i booted it up the first time after the move, and I checked everything earlier when it wouldn't boot up.

I do have another mobo, but i left it in chicago...I guess I could get it shipped down here before buying something.

5. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

p.s. Nice lurking!

6. thespazz

thespazz New Member

Most likely Mobo. See if you can get your hands on a PCI video card, that might let you know if the slot has been shot.

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

two options get a pci diagnostic card and see if any codes change (their not expensive) or secondary video card

8. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

The other card I tried was PCI. :hsd:

9. awns729

awns729 New Member

Any blown capacitors onteh mobo?

10. Thor

Thor OT Supporter

Just swapped out the motherboard, and still getting the same thing. I'm lost. :wtc: