Probably a simple stupid question about a Linksys router issue.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlackMagik, Feb 22, 2009.

1. BlackMagik

BlackMagik And now the robot starts to think...

Jan 20, 2006
    Alright, let me first try by putting this in it's proper sub-forum. So, my roommate just got a new computer in his room, and in order to connect to the internet, he had to go buy one of those Linksys usb wireless adapter things so that he could feed off the router that's in my room (my room is the only room in the house with a direct line from the wall). Now, in this wireless network we have: His computer, my PS3, another roommates 360, and a Wii. I never had any security key to access the wireless signal, but ever since my roommate connected that wireless usb thing, it now causes the router to use a WPA key or whatever, ok no big deal, if I have to use a key, I'll just put it in my PS3 and use the code. Only problem with this, is that it seems to reset this password everytime my friend connects to the internet with his computer. WTF?! Why can't the password stay the same, everytime I have to keep resetting my network settings on my PS3, and put in the long ass complicated wpa key the router generates in order to get online.

Can anyone help me out with this?
  2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

Sep 17, 2002
    is there a button on his USB adapter to automatically connect to the router or something? if so, is he hitting it every time he wants to connect? he should only hit it once to setup the connection and it should be automatic every time after that.

if not, it's probably using some Linksys-specific extra-secure feature that changes the keys on purpose.. there should be an option in the firmware to disable it. I bet if you look up his USB adapter and your wireless router on newegg or something, you'll find it listed as a feature.