Probably a dumb newb question..

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by tubachris85x, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

..But, is there any form of weightloss that can *almost* isolate certain areas of the body or is it "evenly" lost over a period of time?

The reason I am asking, is cause Im really sick of how my chest looks. The most physically fit I can recall at any point in my life would have been after spending everyday for a month, of rifle drill and running for an Honor Guard training with the Navy, even then, I lost some weight, but only my stomach/belly region saw significant fat reduction, but my god damn man boobs pretty much stayed the same.

Mind you, at the end of this month, I was running almost a 7 minute mile, and able to do over 50 push ups, however. Ive been going to the gym pretty consistantly (except for getting kidney stones last week) Ive mostly been running, and using machines. I know I just need to run, but damn, it's frustrating

2. Abomb

Abomb New Member

wat about free weights?

3. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

spot reduction is like chasing the fatty dragon.

4. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

they have free weights at the gym, but from what Ive been reading, fat loss from weight lifting is pretty difficult. I think I remember somewhere that you have to increase intensity more then the number of repititions. Ive been trying that more and more with the machine weights. I'll switch from a fairly managable weight, and then go a little heavier, not so that I can hurt myself, but enough to really make me sweat.

5. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

you never catch it :wtc:

6. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

Subcutaneous fat alterations resulting from an upper-body resistance training program.

Kostek MA, Pescatello LS, Seip RL, Angelopoulos TJ, Clarkson PM, Gordon PM, Moyna NM, Visich PS, Zoeller RF, Thompson PD, Hoffman EP, Price TB.
    Department of Kinesiology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT 06269-2101, USA. [email protected]

PURPOSE: It is believed spot reduction, the exercise-induced localized loss of subcutaneous fat, does not occur as a result of an exercise program; however, evidence as a whole has been inconsistent. To reexamine this concept, we compared subcutaneous fat measurements before and after resistance training among 104 subjects (45 men, 59 women).

METHODS: Subjects participated in 12 wk of supervised resistance training of their nondominant arm. Magnetic resonance imaging and skinfold calipers examined subcutaneous fat in the nondominant (trained) and dominant (untrained) arms before and after resistance training. Repeated-measures ANCOVA tested for subcutaneous fat differences within and between arms before, after, and from before to after resistance training by gender and measurement technique, with BMI and age as covariates. Simple linear regression compared subcutaneous fat changes before and after resistance training as assessed by MRI and skinfold.

RESULTS: Subcutaneous fat, measured by skinfold, decreased in the trained arm and not the untrained arm in the men (P < 0.01); it was similar in the total sample and in the women (P > 0.05). MRI determinations of subcutaneous fat changes were not different between arms in the total sample and by gender (P > 0.05).

CONCLUSION: Subcutaneous fat changes resulting from resistance training varied by gender and assessment technique. Skinfold findings indicate that spot reduction occurred in men but not in women. In contrast, MRI found a generalized subcutaneous fat loss independent of gender, supporting the notion that spot reduction does not occur as a result of resistance training. MRI, sensitive to changes along the entire upper arm, detected greater variation in resistance training responses, preventing significant differences between trained and untrained arms. Variation in upper-arm resistance training response was not evident from a single skinfold measurement at the belly of the muscle.

Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Jul;39(7):1177-85

7. RG

RG New Member

lukkie is trying to become ceaze jr :mamoru:

8. Lukkie

Lukkie OT Supporter

nah, just a little mental masturbation :wackit:

9. tubachris85x

tubachris85x New Member

Use the Shwartz!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.