Prob Formatting an eMachine

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Blake0018, Nov 24, 2004.

1. Blake0018

Blake0018 New Member

Hey I have a problem. I'm home for thanksgiving and my moms comp is crazy. I opened a window just sign on to offtopic and i already have 11 popups and counting, if I try to close them it says IE is not responding. And furthermore the comp is horrificly slow and bogged down with all kinds of crap. Anyways, my solution is to format. I looked through all her comp stuff and all she has that looks somewhat useful is a "Restore Cd" I put it in and restarted and one option was to restore Windows Xp (i guess the other cd is all drivers). So I was wondering if you guys know wheter or not restore means install or if I need a new WinXP cd altogether? Please help. AND THANK YOU!!!

2. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

if youre going to format you will need a real XP disc and a CD key
    Im pretty sure the restore will only function to reset anything you may have changed about the original XP installation
    one good thing for the popups is Firefox

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

But you have to remember that even if you switch browsers like a lot of people say, the spyware is still there. IE is so integrated into Windows that it will catch up with you eventually and simply switching browers wont fix it.

If the computer was bought with Windows XP on it, there should be a disc for it somewhere. I have personally built all of my machines, and I am not familiar with the restore CD. Is there any other option to select than restore? Before you do anything, make sure you back up what data is important.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you have a legit key?

If you have your own legit OEM key, I can send you a genuine MS XP disc for $5.

(disclaimer: this is not a license to windows, it is the genuine MS OEM XP CD that you can use with your own OEM Key to install a fresh copy of XP).

It's very useful for people that got a crappy "restore" cd instead of the plain-OS.

BTW, they're genuine, stamped CDs from MS -- not burned copies.

5. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

eMachines uses either a Ghost or Drive Image image file to restore the system. Windows, drivers, preinstalled crap, etc. all in one step. At least they used to the last time I restored one. Just boot off your restore CD and go from there. Be sure to backup any docs first.

6. Muchacho_Gasolino

Muchacho_Gasolino New Member

yeah but its better than nothin

7. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Also good to note that if you haven't opened the copy of Windows that came with the computer yet, you can return it to the manufacturer for a refund as stated in the EULA.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Unfortuantly, this is not true for bundled software. By running it and activating your key, you agree to the EULA.

So if he used it more than 30 days (requires activation) or he activated earlier, then he agreed to the EULA and now owns the software.

Also, I have never seen a retailer/manufacturer that takes a software product back after the customer has seen the product key.

9. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ah, yes, if he's registered/activated it then that's true.

The OEMs are required by the EULA to take back the software and provide a refund if the customer requests that they do so and it has been done. A few years ago a bunch of people organized "Windows refund day" where they got a few hundred mostly Linux users to march on an MS corporate office and demand their refunds after being refused by their OEMs. I understand that since then MS has been clear with the OEMs that they must do it.