Pro Logic Studio 8

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 123yenxtc, Dec 21, 2007.

1. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

I'm not a Mac user, but am needing one for more than a basic Garage Band home set up. I went to a Mac store in Los Angeles and was underwhelmed by the help (it IS Christmas so it was wall to wall people).

I'll be using Pro Logic Studio 8 and Final Cut Studio but need the collective Mac users experience to tell me what would be the best Mac with upgrades to efficiently run, amongst other programs, the music and movie software.

Would I be able to get by with an iMac or a MacBook Pro versus the Pro desktop?

Thanks a bunch.

2. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

Yes, a Macbook pro or iMac would do just fine IMO...

3. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

A pro would be fine but running out of hard dick space with logic, final cut, and all the content they come with is going to be a problem. Final cut with all the content takes up 80 gigs and logic with all content is like 30. It would be best to get a tower that you can throw a ton of space in.

4. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

awesome. That makes sense. Do you think the standard processor will suffice, or would one of the remaining two choices be noticeably better?

(sorry this is such a green question, I have never bought my own computer before).

Thanks a bunch!

Two 2.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Subtract $299] // Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon // Two 3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon [Add $799] // Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon [Add $1498]

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Going with a Mac Pro is the best route. You might be able to scrape by with a MacBook Pro but hard drive space and access speed of the larger laptop drives is going to be an issue.

6. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

im on a 2.4 duo on my macbook pro and I run logic just fine with 2 gigs of ram. if you plan on bouncing between logic and final cut and photoshop I'd worry about getting at least 3 gigs of ram first. a 2.0 dual core should be enough for you but it never hurts to have more speed.

7. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Mac Pro's are fucking awesome.... but pretty expensive.

Pro logic is amazing, but it has a very steep learning curve and takes a ton of space.

A pro should work well, although i personally use a macbook pro with pro logic every once in awhile.

8. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

I would recommend a Mac Pro for that type of work, so you can have the best expansion options. Right now the 4 core 2.66 GHz is probably the best buy (I have one and I love it), although if I were you I might wait to see if Apple updates the line at Macworld in January, I think Intel has come out with more 4 core chips (so 8 cores in total might be a lot cheaper then).

9. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

Good point. Thanks for that.

10. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

Yeah, I think that as attractive as portability is, performance should be more of a concern.

11. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

I'm leaning toward the desktop but will ask the Mac folks when I go back in a couple of weeks how I can optimize a laptop. Being able to take it with me is too attractive not to consider it. Do you like the new and improved Logic? Have you found Express easier and can files be read by Logic Pro and vice versa without much ado?

12. 123yenxtc

123yenxtc New Member

Yes, Pro Logic is mindboggling in content, but Garage Band just wasn't cutting it anymore.