Private Seller

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Jackal, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Jackal

Jackal New Member

I should be buying a bike from a private seller in a few weeks. What do I need to do, if anything, to get the bike in my name? Do I get the bike home, then register it with the dmv, or can I even drive the back home without having it registered yet?

2. trez157

trez157 You can't trust freedom when it's not in your hand

he should have the title in hand and he should sign it to release it to you. also, a bill of sale from the dmv would be good. then, take title and bill to dmv to get everything officially over to your name

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

It would really help if we knew what state you lived in.

4. Jackal

Jackal New Member

Eh, sorry about that guys. I live in Connecticut. I printed out of the DMV bill of sale already, thanks for the help.

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Just another word of advice, if the guy doesnt have the title in hand when you show up with the cash. And by in hand, i mean out, visible, where you can see it, with all the pertinent information. Walk away. If he starts making excuses about "well, its in my safe deposit box, and ive gotta go get it out, blah blah blah"...dont deal with the guy.

Just play smart, and do everything by the book, and you will be fine.

It worth checking with your DMV about too. They usually have a pamphlet or book about private sales, and what to look for, and what not to get involved with. And how to protect yourself from fraud, or other rip offs.

6. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter