MIL Prior AF going to an Army Base

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by chris325ci, Aug 21, 2005.

1. chris325ci

chris325ci New Member

Hey guys.:wavey: I'm new here but have been browsing for a few weeks now. I'm prior AF with six years in and recently seperated in February. I was stationed at Tyndall, Osan, and Travis in that order.

I was wondering if anyone here has any information on Ft. Belvoir, VA? I recently got offered a GS-11/DOD slot out there and am contemplating whether or not I should make the move. I've never been on an Army base so I don't really know how it compares to the Air Force. Feedback?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Army bases are freakin' huge, compared with Air Force bases. And other than seeing what falls out of google, I have absolutely nothing else for you. (prior Air Force myself)

3. GochuBoy

GochuBoy OT Supporter

Should have stayed AF.

4. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

im right by fort belvoir (10-15min away) its a pretty nice base for army standards. d.c. nightlife fucking rocks. id say go for it :dunno:

5. RRTX

RRTX New Member

Civilian life on an Army base is going to be totally different than the life for a soldier stationed there.

6. evan2

evan2 Guest

yea plus a gs11 slot, not to bad
    i went to tech school on a a army post and it wasnt to bad
    it was fort wood so it was wide open and lots of nice stuff plus they didnt let us go all over the base... some great caves on that post

the PX wasnt to bad, i was at Eglin for 6 years, biggest afb in the world and while the bx there was a bit bigger the px wasnt to bad... the bowling alley was nice and they had a nice shoppette
    the dorms we had used to be enlisted army dorms so they werent to bad..

7. Alex Roundhouse

Alex Roundhouse New Member

I'm Airforce, just got back from a 3 month NGA class at Belvoir, really nice base. It is very large though. Its on 2 sides of Rt 1 which is a major road in Alexandria. Soem of the housing looked a little run down, but if youre not living there its no big deal. I really like the place but traffic is a bitch and its going to continue to get worse on that base. All of the major Intel offices are " supposed" to be moving there on an 11 acre piece of land at Belvoir by 2011. Supposed to be an increase of like 18,000 people so you might want to think about how gay traffic is gonna be down the road. Let me know if you need to know anything specific and I'll see if I can help.

8. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

they have brand new houses just built and also currently building more

9. Alex Roundhouse

Alex Roundhouse New Member

Yeah I did notice some nice ass town houses being built. First time I was on Belvoir and drove by then I thought I was leaving base, got me kinda confused. Very nice though, but I guess it wont really help a GG-11.

10. [​IMG]

11. chris325ci

chris325ci New Member

Thanks everyone for the feedback.:wavey: Although the job sounded good, I just got offered another job with a lot better pay and bennies so the choice is clear.:hsd: Ugh, no more sleeping in for me.

12. JL

JL Wander-er OT Supporter

Hey chris your not a controller are you?

13. chris325ci

chris325ci New Member

haha, I sure am. Is this JL from the ATC boards?

14. JL

Yeah, where'd you get hired at?

15. chris325ci

chris325ci New Member

Oakland Center. I actually got both offers at about the same time and decided it would be best to wait out the FAA job. It was a tough call with that 30% SSR coming with the Army job, yet it was a temp. slot. Have you had any luck yet?

16. JL

None as of yet :( I'm being kinda picky and trying to hold out for somewhere i really want to live (ie Denver or Seattle center). Hopefully it'll be worth the wait. :x:
    Plus, aside from that whole having to show up to class thing, college for the second time is alot more fun then it was the first time.

17. chris325ci

chris325ci New Member

Hey, I don't blame you for waiting. I heard that Melody Cardone in OKC was telling people that picking even one state would be fine as long as their are no age restrictions. Basically, us VRA types will be dried up here in a few years. Oakland Center works for me since I was born and raised in the bay area. Otherwise, I'd be more picky myself. I won't be living like a king with the cost of living here, but I'd much rather be in a nicer area with a small house than a shitty area with a big house. Besides, in any case, i'll be much better off financially than I was before. Good luck to you!