A&P Prints - Walmart vs. Lab

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by YipMan_Style, Jun 27, 2003.

1. YipMan_Style

YipMan_Style Guest

Some professional guys say they have "the lab" develop their photos. Who is "the lab"? It's not WalMart is it?

Is that the main reason why a pro's pictures look so much better, where as rookies look like they came from WalMart?

2. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

WalMart and the lab probably use the same system. The Lab will touch up your prints if you want to them as well.

3. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

the lab = Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
    http://www.llnl.gov/ :big grin:
    about 5 minutes drive from my house :big grin:

you shold know this place from History class (or history channel :o )

they make nuclear bombs :o we are the 2nd target in a nuclear war. the first is Norad, LLNL is 2nd :eek3:

:o

4. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I think what matters most is what film you were using and what camera, and what kind of paper they use.

5. bioyuki

bioyuki Ich habe Angst

Oh yeah, I forgot about the whole film thing :o. Regardless it should be pretty much the same, most pro places use the same Fuji Frontier system as Wal-Mart. I might be wrong for film development though, you'll have to ask joeyc64 about that.

6. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

haha, it's z34 or c67 depending on the place you find me...

short explination: photo labs pay more attention to detail most of the time

long explination:

most places you can take your film to is what's considered a minilab (a processing machine, printer, etc)

the big difference between places that call themselves a "photo lab" and places like walmart and target is the amount of work put into the print

most photolabs will look through your prints, balance color and brightness, and charge you a much higher amount of money for it

it's funny cause newer labs don't even need to anymore. like at one of the stores i worked at we had a nortisu system 2 (it's about 15 years old, but still works great) with those, the only way to tell what a print looks like is after it's printed out. newer places pay more for a newer noritsu, fuji or afga machine. those come with lcd screens that will scan the negatives and then someone can look at what the print will look like and balance it for you.

alot of places like target and costco have cheaper machines that have film barcode scanners, which will figure out what kind of film you use, and use a preset exposure setting. which is why if you take it to target or something, alot of the times your print will look like shit cause someone puts the film in and walks away.

film processing is a different matter. processing you standard negatives (c41) needs to be very exact and the temperatures, chemical balance and machine maintence needs to be very exact (my old job was i was training to become the guy who would go around every store and make sure everyone knew what they were doing)

alot of minilabs pay people to learn how to take care of the machines (i'm not saying they do it, but they either hire or subcontract people like me to do it) again, it's not difficult with newer machines to run a control strip every morning and adjust the machine

even if your developer is off by 2 degrees, the contrast on your film will change (anyone who's developed black and white knows how a few degrees can change the way film reacts, color film is alot more sensitive)

so to sum it all up, there is nothing different. if your walmart has good people and good QC for their equipment and set standards, then they could be better than some 29 minute photo lab on the corner that just spews out prints fast

pro's usually go to a good lab or do it themselves, or pay an assistant to make their prints. very percise color matching, contrast adjustment, framing/cropping/compisition, dodging and burning, and focus (although that's not as much a problem with a machine)

7. Dnepr

Dnepr Guest

DIY is the best way to go:)

8. UncleMeat

UncleMeat Guest

I just go to WalGreens. Last vacation I got 180 digital shots printed on 4x6... just touched up a few on photoshop before going in. $40, done in an hour, looked great. :)

9. MastaCow

MastaCow I love cup.

I like these guys a LOT.

www.aandi.com

They do all my medium format processing.