A&P Printing gurus - request advice.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by JaimeZX, Sep 1, 2006.

1. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I downloaded one of those calibrated color swatches.

[​IMG]
    Note: this isn't the one I printed, just a web one for your reference.

In PS, when I print I select under "Print space" "Adobe RGB (1998)" for the color profile and then print, the image comes out kind of faded / desaturated.

So I messed around in the printer dialogue and printed out about 8 4x6s until the prints came pretty darn close to what I was seeing on the screen. I was pleased. My final settings (again, in the Canon printer setup dialogue) after all of these swatches were as follows:

Cyan + 4
    Magenta + 8
    Yellow + 4
    Black + 2
    Intensity + 10

The only problems I have with the color swatches now are the two orange swatches don't "pop" as much as they appear to on-screen, but otherwise they all match pretty darn well.
    Also, for whatever reason the black patch at bottom right appears very patchy and not solid, almost like the ink didn't settle evenly; but you only notice this looking at the 4x6 up-close.

Anyway, I was happy with those settings and printed a picture of my wife. The colors, again, look GREAT, but her black hair also looks blotchy and nearly all detail in the hair is gone. It's almost like a giant black smudge on her head with just a few details here and there.

If I set the printer to "Auto color" instead of having those manual settings above and still tell PS to use Adobe RGB for the print space, all her hair detail is there, but just like with the color chart, she appears desaturated.

Suggestions? :dunno:

Thanks very much!

2. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

There is no simple answer. Color management issues always seem to turn up the heat on the photoshop boards. Here is a site that has lots of tutorials that will either help or confuse the living shit out of you.
    http://www.gballard.net/psd.html

3. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I'll check them out. THX