Printer Fax Problems!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Renegade, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Well this isnt for me, but a guy i know has an hp officjet 4100 that he just bought. He has one phone line and an answering machine. He can print/copy/scan and send faxes but for some reason the printer never picks up an incoming fax.

When I try to fax him it just keeps ringing like 9 times then go to the answer machine and then my fax automatically hangs up. How can he configure his machine like Ive heard others do where it says to leave a voicemall press 1, to transmit a fax press 2

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'm not sure what it is called, but you can go and buy a switchbox that you plug your phone and fax lines into. When there is an incoming call, the box will know if it is a phone call or incoming fax and forward it accordingly. That should solve the problem. Again, I'm not sure what they are called, but you can probably get one at a radio Shack type store.

HTH

CM.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I have an officejet - might even be a 4100. By default the # of rings before pickup is pretty high. Go into the options on the printer (it is pretty easy to setup) and turn that sucker down to a reasonable number.

I had someone try to fax me and I was in a mad frenzy turning the answering machine off after it picked up first.

4. Renegade

Renegade New Member

Okay here is the deal, they called bellsouth and got a distinctive phone ring which gives a different ring and its a different telephone number but still goes to the main line. Now when I try sending a fax it rings goes to the answering machine and then connects. On my side it says the fax sent, nothing happens on her printer, nothing prints out or shows on the screen at all. whats the deal?