MMA PRIDE 31: Dreamers (4 confirmed matches)

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FlyingNun, Jan 29, 2006.

1. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

the theme of this card is to test open weight matchups for the GP....so far we have...

Sergei Kharitonov vs Alistair Overeem
    Mark Hunt vs Nishijima Yousuke
    Mauricio Shogun vs Mark Coleman
    Tsuyoshi Kosaka vs Mario Sperry

4 more announced:
    Josh Barnett vs. Kazuhiro Nakamura
    Pedro Rizzo vs. Roman Zentsov
    Quinton Jackson vs. Yoon Dong Sik
    John OlavEinemo vs. Fabricio Werdum

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs Kiyoshi Tamura

also scheduled to be on the card...Big Nog, Rampage, Kevin Randleman, James Thompson, John Olav Einemo, and Pedro Rizzo

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

finally sergei fights again

3. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

alistair might not do so bad as people think since he wont have to cut massive amounts of weight....he's a huge LHW...maybe he wont gas so fast this time...but he's still gonna lose to Sergei

I feel bad for Nishijima...it's his first mma fight ever(he's a pro boxer)...and they give him a terrible matchup for his first fight...Hunt is going KO Nishijima in stunning highlight reel fashion

Shogun is going to destroy Coleman...even with the weight difference...either the fight ends real fast with Shogun just dominating with all kinds of strikes....or coleman gets the takedown...gasses after 5 minutes...they get stood up...and shogun KO's him from there

kosaka vs sperry is going to be a big test to see how much weigt difference plays a role in fights...neither really impressed me ever...but i'd have to go with kosaka since he is bigger

4. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Is it wrong that I'm rooting for Coleman?

5. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

Sergei
    Hunt
    Coleman
    Sperry

Those are my picks for those matches.

6. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

fucking shogun with a spinning jumping roundhouse kick for the win damnit

7. cabbage

cabbage Current USGA index 2.7 OT Supporter

:werd:

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Overeem will lose, Shogun will win. I can't call the other fights but those two are obvious... Unless Sergei seriously fucks up. There is no way, however, that Coleman will take Shogun.

9. MyLittleAirport

Why not? He gave Fedor a hard time. He lost to KO by Crocop and got submitted by Noguiera which btw is nothing to be ashamed of.

I think Shogun is awesome, he fkn dominated the Middleweight tournament and showed a lot of heart. But he's going against a heavyweight, this is Coleman's world. People are saying Shoguns around 220lbs and they're shocked that he gained so much weight in time, well Coleman ain't going to be cutting weight for this fight and hes going to have at least a good 20-30 lbs without dehydrating himself for this fight.

I believe Colemans going to win by decision, Shoguns awesome but its not like hes going against a nobody, hes going against a pre-UFC and Pride FC champion.

10. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

coleman hasn't cut weight for a fight...ever? in mma...he's always fought at HW...he still gasses....coleman will be fighting like his same old self...it's shogun who wont have to dehydrate himself and will be fighting at his natural weight...coleman has never really been a good finisher...especially against top opponents

11. MyLittleAirport

He's always fought against heavyweights also, this is an open weight tournament and Coleman will have the weight advantage and will have control of Shogun if hes able to take him down. He controlled Fedor pretty well until the armbar came along and you can't tell me Shogun is stronger than Fedor.

And I was wrong about Coleman cutting weight before a fight, for some reason I kept thinking Randlemen cutting weight for the middleweight tournament when I was thinking about Coleman. I have no idea why but yeah, Shogun won't be dehydrated and will be awesome shape. But Coleman is no nobody.

12. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I just think that Shogun's style is more rounded and will dominate Coleman's.

13. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

the weight advantage here isn't substantial...recently coleman was reported as weighing at 225 and was considering fighting at LHW...sure he "controlled" fedor...but fact is he got submitted in about 2 minutes...coleman can take almost anyone down in MMA...but he is not a good finisher

14. MyLittleAirport

Hey hey, I never said Coleman was going to sub or KO the guy, I just said hes going to go get the decision on Shogun. Meaning, throw a lil gnp, keep control in guard or mount, some more gnp, round over, next round, repeat, etc.

I don't like the way Coleman fights but he does what he does to win. And yeah I heard of that report too on sherdog of Coleman weighing around 220 and that was like about a month ago and I'm pretty damn sure Coleman is going to start gaining more mass knowing the advantages he can take.

15. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

ok well the way i see it...i can almost guarantee coleman will gas before this fight reaches decision...no way coleman makes it through 20 minutes vs someone as active as shogun...when he does shogun will be all over him...if he wins it will be within the first round...specifically the first 5 minutes...he always over-exerts himself in his GNP...he probably will take shogun down...but shogun isn't Milco Voorn or Allan Goes..he'll defend the GNP till they get stood up or shogun gets back to his feet...these are things I am almost certain of in this fight

also PRIDE is setting this fight up for a reason...they need matches like this to show that the Open weight GP is worthwhile...that the smaller guy can win...imo this is the purpose of this fight

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  16. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

hmm...nothing interests me really :hs:

overeen v. kharitonov might be fun, but i have a feeling that sergei will control the fight with ease.

wait, now that i think about it, are they fighting as HW or LHW?

17. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

Coleman doesn't seem to do well standing, this is an area where Shogun is really good.

I have no doubt that Coleman can take down shogun, holding him down is another story. Unless coleman works his control well AND manages to land a lot of damage from the GnP, Shogun will either get the fight standing again, or it will be stood up. Either way, this pace will tire coleman, slowing his shoots later in the fight, making his situation even worse. Shogun is a horrible opponent for him in every respect.

18. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

HW, this is Shoguns 1st fight in what will probably become his new home.

That said, it's BS Chute Boxe is so determined that Wand keeps the title. Shogun deserves to own that division more than anyone.

Of course with him in HW... Shogun vs Fedor may happen... and that could be one of the best fights in history.

19. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Yeah, it doesn't seem like there are any must-see matches. Hopefully this will change.

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

wait overeem's fighting HW?

He's always been 205ish, did he pack on some size? He is a traditional muay thai practicioner from what I've read so being a lean 205 at 6'5" seems right... But he's never really had much power in his punches yet I can see that he has a lot of promise as a standup fighter.. If he packed on 20 lbs and some power I think he'd have a lot of potential... The way he's usually fought, ground and pound, knees, and of course guillotine chokes seem to be his most effective moves. Boxing power and more endurance would make him a force to be reckoned with cause he can sure as hell take a beating and keep going when he's got the gas left in him. Usually I notice fighters have the power but not the heart, I think in his case it's the other way around.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2006
  21. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

open weight...meaning you can fight at whatever weight you want...i saw a picture of overeem standing with a bunch of other fighters and fedor...overeem is huge...i'd estimate he walks around at 220-225

22. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Sergei, no question.
    Hunt, no question.
    Shogun, 75% sure.
    Sperry, counting on Kosaka to gas.

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

[​IMG]

:werd: he is pretty huge but Fedor isn't exactly a jolly green giant, plus he's standing a few feet closer to the camera so that effects it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2006
  24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

i'm sure overeem walks around at 240+, but just cuts immensely

given his stamina at 205, it's hard to imagine how quick he'd gas while carrying more weight

25. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

:werd:

He always runs out of gas. Look at the Lidell fight. He was whooping the Chuckster's ass until he started showing signs of exhaustion... Then Lidell just socked him and he was too stunned to even keep his guard up and got KO'ed soon thereafter.