A&P Price for designing a band logo?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by themolsen, May 10, 2009.

1. themolsen

themolsen New Member

How much should I charge a band for designing a logo? They're going to use it for anything you could imagine: website, posters, flyers, album cover (ultimately). They're not HUGE yet, just a local band that plays A LOT.

I've done a couple photo things for them, and they like the logo ideas I've had, so I know I'm in business. I just have no idea what to charge them. This place http://www.rockbandlogo.com/ does them for $155.

2. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

what you should do is send me an estimate for designing a logo for me. :big grin:

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I'll think of some ideas...if I can come up with anything I'll let you know.

I'm really not a pro at this, but the band really liked a couple of the mock-ups I presented to them, so I figured what the hell.

Now what the hell do I charge? I'm thinking around $120 or something

4. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I want to throw up when I hear about people designing identity marks for $155.

5. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

most people I've asked work by the hour... I'd say $150 is a good round about number. :dunno:

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

we're not talking about a business here. this is just a local band. what would you suggest I charge?

7. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

$150 is plenty. Their a small band, if they were big then yeah you'd charge more...

8. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

I've been looking into having a logo made for myself, prices are usually around $100...

9. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

you are creating a brand. Depending on how they use it, you should be charging to develop that Brand. What happens if they hit it big and utilize that logo for everything, and all you got was 150 bucks?

just something to think about. Have a contract with them. Possibly an extension to payment if they utilize that logo for future records and such.

10. themolsen

themolsen New Member

gawsh this is getting complicated

11. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

Just charge what you think your time was worth.

12. Spurious

Spurious New Member

How long does it take you to make? What is their expectation of quality? How long have you been doing it? How long and how much money did you spend attaining your skills?

13. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I get what you're driving at

14. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Agree with this.

Designing a mark for a brand is a lot more involved then simply grabbing some, generally, cheese-dick typeface and throwing it on top of some hipster free vector. Then again, most people do not understand the power of branding and think a "logo" is all you need. Most design firms spend years rebranding companies and charge millions because the choices they make affect everything a company stands for. Does a local band need something like that? No, of course not. But you can certainly sit with them and do some research and visit dozens of different ideas, color palettes, typefaces, aesthetics, etc. That alone should warrant a few hundred bucks of your time. Of course, I doubt you'll do this, but you should have a little bit more pride in your work. If someone is willing to make band logos for $150, then let 'em. Shit $150 wouldn't even pay for the paper I would waste in presenting different marks for consideration. To each their own, I guess. :hs:

15. themolsen

themolsen New Member

But I showed them 3 ideas I had, they pointed at one and said "that one"

I've put MAYBE an hour into the logo so far... Maybe will put in one more

AGAIN, this is a small local band, not a business

How can you say anything about my "pride" without seeing what I've done? An isn't the customer's satisfaction what is most important?

Why waste time with other ideas when I've already done whatthey wanted on my first try?

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  16. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

If you had designed the Van Halen logo, or the ACDC logo, or Metallica, or any other huge band, do you think doing it for $150 would have been worth it? Considering they make millions of dollars off their branding and that logo.

Does it matter that they're a local band? Why would it? What is the potential? What is their goal? What do they want to do with it?

Just like a photo, a logo is worth what its worth. I dont charge a club racer less money for a photo they want to use for marketing purposes than I do for a pro team. I dont charge a small upstart parts company that wants a photo for advertising any less than I would Pirelli or GoodYear. The photo is worth what its worth...PERIOD.

Not saying you should charge them the hundreds of thousands of dollars that FedEx might pay for a new logo, but its still worth decent money and the time and care put into it are worth money. All I can think is that if you hit it on the first try, you havent really put enough into it or you're the best damn designer I've ever met. I dont now any designers that go for a first draft. They are used to get a general idea of where to go and then they work from that. If you're good, you second and third drafts based on that original will be better and you'll end up with something. Just on my company logo, we went through about four or five revisions before we decided on something.

But hey, if the first one works, I guess $150 is about what its worth. :dunno:

17. themolsen

themolsen New Member

yes it matters, because their budget is different. I price according to band size and budget, otherwise I'd scare away 99% of my clients. In this case, if I price too high, he's going to go somewhere else. I'd rather take a sure $150 for my work then nothing at all.

Please understand me: I don't do this (photography and design) for a living, but for extra cash. I don't have the time or experience to market and price myself for bigger clients. I take what I can get, so I keep my prices competitive so they keep coming back. So far, it's worked great and I've been able to gradually increase my pricing as my skills increase and my portfolio expands. I expect to continue this trend.
    :dunno: what can I tell you. The guys told/showed me what they wanted in a logo, I spent an hour creating several logos that I thought worked with that description, and one of them they really liked. I'm going to make a minor change or two, but they liked that first concept. Does that mean I'm not good? Does it mean I listened to the client closely and understand exactly what they wanted? Or does it mean I got lucky? Who cares?
    that's my thinking. The amount of time and effort that's gone into this logo doesn't warrant a higher price, IMO.

I appreciate all of the info, guys. I'm not trying to cheapen the biz or anything...I'm just trying to price according to the client's budget and my effort.