Prewiring for projection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wizeguy4, Feb 11, 2008.

1. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am redoing my living room and this will include teh removal of all walls/ ceiling. I am rewiring the room form more receptacles and lighting (plus it is originally wired with K&T so that has to go) so since I am going to have the walls open, I thought that if I ever did decide to go projection (something my wife and I have talked about many many times) now is the time to rough in some wire. Is all I need to do is just have some extra romex up there so that I can just retro in a receptacle when the time comes or is there more that that?. I was also planning on having wire at the location a screen would go so that if I chose to, I could install a motorized screen that would go up into a box at the ceiling. (But that part is easy, I just need to run some low voltage in the wall for the future)

I guess I should also provide this - I am not terribly concerned with having a killer HT with the best stuff available. What I currently have is a sony receiver and also a dvd player and a 5.1 surround with Infinity speakers. This stuff is also about 7.5 years old and is more than sufficient for us. So when I do prewire, I am not needing to use the best wire available and I am not sure as to what else would need to be run. I have never really looked at the back of a projector but I am thinking that I have to get signal up there from the cable company? or some componant cable to go down to my dvd player?

Yep, I am sure I am soundign terribly nub at this point

2. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

3. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

I am well aware of that site and have ordered from them before. but it is difficult for me to order anything from them without the knowledge of knowing what it is I should order. If all I need to do is supply power and componant cable, then yes I can get the cable there. This was the main question of my thread

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

All I have ran to mine is component wire, composite wire, and power.

The component runs to the receiver and the S video is floating around incase I need to plug something random like my digital camera/camcorder or a friends console w/o hd hookups.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well if you want to get screwed over, then by all means go with firefold :mamoru:

For now I would run romex to the location and leave it. I would also run conduit from where the projector would be and to where the av stack would be and leave a pull string in it. No sense in wasting money on what cables you might or might not need, now. You will need power, so get that going, and with conduit and pullstring it will be extremely easy to feed whatever wires you need at the time you need em.

6. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

:ugh2:

Way to answer the guys question with a plug for a company that sells garbage cables.

I agree with P07, just run a decent piece of conduit up to where the projector will be placed, along with romex for an outlet. As far as cable box and other devices, I would route everything through an av receiver that upconverts signals to at least component if not HDMI...that way you only need to run one video cable to the projector.

7. cacique78

cacique78 Member

At least do a component run. It will be more reliable if you are using older equipment. Older equipment might have hdcp handshake problems with the hdmi.

8. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Make sure the conduit is big enough to run the cable with connector through without getting stuck.