prewired cat5 house

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by c2rsx, Jun 17, 2009.

1. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

Just recently purchased a house that is prewired with cat5 for the phone jacks that all route back to a hub in a closet. I was told by comcast installer that I would not be able to use it for networking purposes and would only be able to use one jack for internet and the rest would have to be phone connection for the whole house. I put in a router to get internet to the other rooms, but only that one jack he said would work for internet actually gets a connection. The other jacks just cause my NIC to go from connected to disconnected in a continous loop. What I am doing wrong here ? The one line that gets a network connection is connected to the router, whats up with the other jacks? ive connected a laptop directly to the router, so the router is working.. help please :hs:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Do you actually see the individual home runs in the closet? If they're tied together, then it won't work.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

There has to be a separate cable for each jack, and they need to be plugged into a network switch, not a phone hub.

Personally, I'd replace the hub with a switch, buy a Vonage subscription, and tell the phone company to go phuque themselves.

4. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Your wire is what is called daisy-chained togeather. One wire goes from the closet (am I right) and is spliced into other wires going to different rooms. Any wire like this will not work for network.

5. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

there are a total of 8 cat5 wires coming in from the attic in the the box that all connect to some phone module. one of the cat5 cables (from the kitchen) is connected to one of the ports of my router and is the only one that can get an internet connection. the other jacks dont work when i connect them to the router when removed from that phone module.

6. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

if you take some pictures of the setup, I could help you better.

the cat5 cable can not be used for networking when it's connected to a telephone board.. but most likely, any of the wires that you want to pull out from that and terminate with a cat5 plug could be connected directly to the router and used for networking/internet.

the necessary hardware can be bought from Home Depot/Frys/MonoPrice.com

7. White Stormy

my dad's house was wired with cat5e, and when the DSL installer came he insisted that my dad could not do what you're trying to do.. so he cut one of the wires to put in a special wall-plug and install his shit.

I went through a few days later and reversed it back to how it was then put plugs on the all the wires that were connected to the telephone board and connected them to a router and connected the DSL like to a modem that was connected to a router. worked no problem.

8. White Stormy

you can get a device that lets you track each wire in the box to figure out which is which.. you may want telephone in the kitchen, but network in your bedroom, or vice versa, etc

any wire that you plug into the router/switch/hub will no longer function for telephone, so you may only want to convert specific jacks

9. N1XRR

N1XRR New Member

Exactly. Haven't had a landline in years now.

10. johan

johan Active Member

Its just easier to tell the customer...It won't work...instead of saying I don't feel like doing all that shit

or be on the hook for a failed install due to "custom wiring"

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  11. 5Gen_Prelude

If you can live with 100 Mbit, you can run tel and data in the same run - you just need to split it out correctly.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

See what johan said about "custom wiring"?

13. 5Gen_Prelude

See what I said about using the wire for both data and tel?

14. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

how do i go about splitting it out correctly?

15. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

ok, so I made a call out to comcast. they said i would have to have a technician come out to "activate" the outlet @ $6.95 per outlet. They said they have to update the system provisions on their end to get service on those jacks. uhhh.... okay. so there is a provision on my account to allow one connection?

16. White Stormy

wait what? Once Comcast hooks it up one time, they're done. You can do everything else yourself. And there's nothing that needs to be done at the outlets. If they're all wired Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 with Cat5/Cat5e/Cat6 jacks, you only need to mess with shit in the box where they all come together. Take some pictures of the setup and we can help you better, and probably save you $90 in bullshit Comcast fees.

17. johan

johan Active Member

agree ^

telcos, etc will charge you $ for "extra lines" even if all they do is put in a $5 splitter.

Plus they may refuse to come in and do all the custom wiring you want done, to the degree you want.
    Or the service guy may not fully understand and possibly screw up.

You only need them to land the service inside your prem. After that...wave goodbye ...and leave them out of it.

18. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

hope this helps. its a emta modem. ive been able to tell which cat5 leads to which room. ive unhooked it from that module and connected it to the router. All it does it causes the NIC to cycle not connected to network.

[​IMG]

19. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Looks like whoever set all that up just made a big mess. They should've had all the home-runs punched down on a patch panel so you could hook them either to a voice distribution panel or switch. That's how I have mine run, anyway.

Good luck with the rat's nest!

20. johan

johan Active Member

cant trace out that mess for you visually.

Make a simple line drawing of the connections, even if its just on a clean sheet. Where each line is going to/from.

In fact, just doing that you'll probably figure out the problem without our help. It's not rocket science.

21. White Stormy

this is mine after I finished it. I spent maybe $20 on jacks and boots at Frys.. used Velcro for the switch and router

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The white cap on the right is covering a hole that I'm gonna use for a network camera (pushed through the wall that you see) to watch my front door

22. c2rsx

c2rsx Member

here is a diagram of the clusterfuck of wires. The jack from the kitchen gets internet, the jack from the media room gets no connection from the router.

[​IMG]

23. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If the cables are still capped, pick up a network cable tester and start ringing out the lines.

I think if it were me, I'd consider ripping out the wires and re-doing everything.

24. 5Gen_Prelude

Yeah, I mean it could simply a faulty crimp. The blue wires are the only ones that NEED to be crimped properly for tel (punched down on pins 4 and 5), green and orange would have to be crimped for data, and even then, it must be punched down on both sides in the right order (1 pair on pins 1,2, the other pair on pins 3,6). Depending on the type of jack on the media room, it could be punched down as I've said, or it could be punched down 1-8 and then it crosses the wires internally as necessary (either to A or B standard).

I don't think you need to rerun cable, you just need some knowledge of how it's supposed to be punched down (google it if you didn't get my weak explanation), and a tester to ensure that it's punched down fully. Remember, tel guy isn't going to worry about anything other than the blue pair.

25. White Stormy

I have no idea what that means :rofl: what's the module for? telephone? what's EMTA?

:hs:

If it's Comcast.. it's a cable modem, right? So you have a coax cable going to the cable modem, and then you're using a crossover cable to connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the router. Every other network cable in the house that you want to have internet needs to have a network RJ45 plug crimped onto it using the same wire pattern found on the network jacks (this is the A or B standard mentioned above).. then you just connect the network plugs to the LAN ports on the router.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009