Preview - 2004 Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Sep 19, 2003.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

GM finally replaces the two oldest models in their lineup

[​IMG]

BY LARRY WEBSTER
    October 2003

The dinosaurs of GM's lineup, the Chevy S-10 small pickup and its twin, the GMC Sonoma, are dying a slow death. The duo's eventual replacements, the Chevrolet Colorado and the GMC Canyon, will roll out this fall as 2004 models.

We say "eventual" because the S-10 crew-cab pickup will still be available for another year or so. And you thought only creaky British roadsters enjoyed such extended model lives.

After a brief look at the new truck—we weren't allowed to drive it—we can't imagine opting for the old model. Not only does the new truck's frame promise better ride isolation, but there's also more room inside, and two new engines.

Unlike the S-10, which was available in three different wheelbases and lengths, the Colorado and the Canyon are available in only two because there isn't a long-bed option. On a 111.3-inch wheelbase, the Colorado is available with a two- or three-passenger regular cab and a bed that is 73.0 inches long. Two different cabs are available on the 125.9-inch-wheelbase chassis: an extended cab with two small rear-hinged half-doors to access a pair of forward-facing small rear seats, and a 73.0-inch-long bed; and a crew cab with a larger sedanlike passenger compartment that features four forward-hinged doors, a rear seat sized for adults, and a 61.0-inch-long bed.

Although the new trucks, model for model, are a few inches longer than the old, the Canyon and the Colorado are still a few inches smaller than the class-busting mid-size Dodge Dakota, which is why we still consider them compact pickups. And the new GM trucks don't offer a V-8 engine as the Dakota does.

Two engines are available: a 175-hp, 2.8-liter four and a 220-hp, 3.5-liter inline five. Both of these engines are basically cut-down versions of the straight-six engine that was unveiled in the Chevy TrailBlazer in 2002. Like the six-cylinder, the two new units feature double overhead cams, aluminum engine blocks, four valves per cylinder, and variable exhaust-valve timing. About 90 percent of the engine parts are common among all three engines, but the four- and five-cylinder units employ balance shafts to reduce vibration.

[​IMG]

The Canyon and Colorado's competition each offers an optional V-6 engine, but GM's five-banger outpowers them all, even the supercharged 210-hp V-6 available in the Nissan Frontier. A five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic is available with either engine, as is a part-time four-wheel-drive system.

Maximum towing capacity has been reduced from 5900 to 4000 pounds. The company says those who wanted to tow more than 4000 pounds were stepping up to full-size pickups, so it lowered the maximum trailer weight to gain some ride, handling, and fuel economy benefits.

As noted earlier, we weren't permitted any drive time, so we can't confirm that, but we did get to sit in the new trucks. We wouldn't call their interiors aesthetically pleasing, but at least they include plenty of storage bins and cubbies and the front seats have the right amount of firmness.

In the crew cab, the folding rear seats feature shoulder belts for three passengers and a reasonable amount of legroom. But the seatback is so upright that it would quickly become uncomfortable. The situation is even less tolerable in the extended cab.

At least the designers did think to include a nifty toolbox under the rear seat in the extended-cab models. Other handy details include a standard locking rear tailgate that can be positioned at a 55-degree angle to support four-by-eight sheet goods, anti-lock brakes as standard equipment, optional curtain airbags, and optional traction control on rear-drive models.

Another option is an on-road handling package called the ZQ8. It's only available on two-wheel-drive models, and the company claims it makes the pickup handle as well as the Pontiac Vibe. Again, we'll have to wait until we drive one, but since the Canyon and the Colorado still use a solid rear axle and rear leaf springs, we wouldn't bet on that one.

The off-road-racer look-alike package, called the Z71, carries over, but now it will be available on two-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive trucks, whereas previously it only came with four-wheel drive.

Prices have not been set, but GM promises there won't be a substantial price increase. The base regular-cab model should start at about 15 grand, and a fully loaded crew cab should come in at about $25,000.

[​IMG]

Vehicle type: front-engine, rear- or rear/4-wheel-drive, 2-6-passenger, 2-, 2+2-, or 4-door truck
    Estimated base price: $15,000-$23,000
    Engines: DOHC 16-valve 2.8-liter 4-in-line, 175 hp, 185 lb-ft; DOHC 20-valve 3.5-liter 5-in-line, 220 hp, 225 lb-ft

Transmissions: 5-speed manual, 4-speed automatic
    Wheelbase: 111.3-125.9 in
    Length: 192.4-207.0 in
    Width: 67.6 in
    Height: 61.3-65.6 in
    Curb weight: 3350-4150 lb

C/D-estimated performance:
    Zero to 60 mph: 8.0-10.0 sec
    Standing 1/4-mile: 16.0-17.5 sec

Projected fuel economy:
    EPA city driving: 19-23 mpg
    EPA highway driving: 23-31 mpg

http://www.chevrolet.com/colorado/

http://www.gmc.com/canyon/

[​IMG]

2. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

hmm, I really want with 4.2L.

3. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

:bowdown:
    Super Sweet!!
    :bigthumb: :naughty: :cool:

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

good bye s10 :wavey:

new truck sweet though :drool:
    suck the 4.3 is gone and they dont get teh i6

5. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

i still dont like the headlights, it just looks out of place

6. Bad4Point3_01

Bad4Point3_01 Just lurking

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:eek3: thats fucking pimp!!

8. LabradorBoy

LabradorBoy OT Supporter

I'm curious to see how that 175hp I4 holds together....both of their engines look to be segment killers and will give everybody fits if they hold up.

I just hope that the reliability on these will be better than the friggin' S10's. That was the worst truck I ever owned.

9. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Well if they're anything like the engine they're based off of (the 4.2l) they'll be awesome engines :)

10. Surgie

And personally I'd love to have a std. cab. sport canyon, but I think I'm gonna be trading in on a car in the next year or so, i know what I want its just getting it now.

Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my s-10 and i know the 4.3l will last forever, but i need something with a bit more passenger room and better gas mileage. 20mpg on the highway is going to blow when i start driving from tallahassee to orlando & tampa on a consistent basis.

only thing i don't like about them, is it needs a v8 option :o

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im no tlikeying the fenders though

12. Surgie

the body color painted ones dont look that bad, but the flat black ones :ugh:

13. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I admit it, I like the exterior styling of the 4x4 models. The interior is okay.

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i dont like the back wheel well its way to high of a cut it almost goes thorugh the top of the bead and those seats=:barf:

15. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

now if it came like this

16. Somatic

Somatic OG Lurker ftw

I am really, really diggin' this truck. I can't wait til Lingenfelter gets their hands on one. :eek3:

17. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

yeah, lingerfelter will stuff a big block or something doublepluscrazy in there, then twin turbo it, and AWD it.

18. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

:werd: to the torque... but for towing torque>hp. We'll just wait and see with the new trucks.

19. footratfunkface

well, i got to actually see one in person at work on thursday. that and the SSR. and several other badass vehicles. like a 510 hp 96 impala. and a mid 90's monte carlo with an LT1 and 335's on the rear. and a new malibu with the 3500 I5 stuffed in it, but turbo'd.

20. footratfunkface

as far as exterior styling, it seemed like it was only slightly larger than an S10, but more chunky. the interior didn't seem much bigger than the S10, but it's definitely different. the one we had up there was a Z71 quad cab. there is, like the quad-cab S10, nearly no bed space. there is, however, plenty of room in the engine bay for a larger motor, or so it seemed to me. the one at work was equipped with the 3.5L I5. i don't know if it was a 4x4 or not, because i was too busy looking at the other cars to bend over and look for a front diff. or a transfer case. looked good, and i'll be happy when i see the colorado sports start showing up on the lot.

21. Surgie

If i can swing a black sport LS std. cab. colorado (3.5l / 5-spd obviously) with leather seats i might have to go for that next year sometime :x:

the damn things are growing on me everytime i see them :rofl:

sucks you can't get indigo blue on the sport model though, thats what i really want :wtc:

22. Surgie

:werd: ^ infinity :)

if only GM would have released the zz4.3 intake we could have both though :wtc:

23. footratfunkface

yeah, i hate the lack of color selection on the colorado's, especially the sport model. there's like 3 colors.

24. tonifli

tonifli Guest

that shit is ugly as hell. Overpriced too.