Prevent Brake Dust on Wheels?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Unknown, May 3, 2009.

1. Unknown

Unknown OT Supporter

Is there any product that I can apply to my wheels that prevents brake dust from "sticking" to them? I have 20" chrome wheels and the brake dust is horrible on them after a couple of days of driving. I've tried to clean them and applied NXT wax but it didn't really seem to help.

I read that Michelin has a brake dust repellent that you spray on and it adds a thin layer and helps prevent brake dust from collecting on your wheels. Anyone try it?

Or are there special wheel waxes that I can use?

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

You can't prevent the generation of brake dust, except by switching your pads to a different compound. I use regular OCW spray wax + Opti-seal on my wheels, as it makes it easier to clean the dust off during weekly washings. There is just as much dust, but a lot of it rinses right off with the hose, the rest I have to wipe when I clean with ONR.

3. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I do more coasting and less[hard] breaking :o

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Ceramic brake pads. That's it. Nothing else.

5. xSteveO

xSteveO Guest

mine are still filthy after a week

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

as are mine, but it helped tremendously

7. Scottwax

Two weeks since my car was last washed (won't stop fucking raining here) and while the wheels are a bit grimey looking, no noticable brake dust.

8. Unknown

Unknown OT Supporter

I figured before I even posted that I'd get the "get ceramic" but I already do. I do have a big brake kit though, so I'm sure that doesn't help.

I guess I should have reworded what I was trying to say. I know there is no way to prevent brake dust, but I'm looking for a way to minimize the buildup I guess on the wheels.

9. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I wish I knew of a way to minimize the dust. The wheels are just going to get dust on them. If you wax the wheels, the dust washes off much easier, than non-waxed wheels.

10. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Kleen Wheels work, but they're ugly as fuuu

11. Scottwax

Whatever you get from the pads you have, you are going to get no matter what you do. Using a sealant or wax on the wheels makes them easier to clean but it really doesn't prevent the build-up in the first place.

12. jdhommert

jdhommert OT Supporter

Eagle 1 has some new stuff called Keep clean or somthing. I tried it, i have a z06, which has very high dusting pads from teh factory, comparable to Hawk HPS+ i beleive. Anyway i just sprayed it on one wheel to see if it worked, and after a week or 2 there was a massive diffrence in the wheels. The one lookede like i had normally been driving on it a day or so, the other was dark dark grey...was really suprised at the diffrence..it didn't create sort of a od matte layered finish or somthing, but it did make a diffrence.Not sure how it even works, but it seemed to help