GUN pretty happy with my defense ar15, light recommendations?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So overall I think I'm pretty happy with my ar15's setup now am about ready to retire my 870 from standby. I thought I would want a light with a tape switch like the 870 but I think I can make do with a light with a push tailcap that I can push with my knuckles. The light I've got on there now is alright but the button doesn't protrude from the cap much so it takes a little more precision to turn it on than I'd like. Any suggestions for a dealextreme light that will fit a 1" ring, takes 2 123 cells and has a nice easy to hit tail cap?

And pics of course, but I was lazy so they suck. (8 pounds 9.8 ounces for the weight watchers).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've tried to put everything I might need for the gun on board so it can work for grab and go if necessary.
    [​IMG]

It spawned a little baby ar. Its waiting for a tr24 to grow up more.
    [​IMG]

2. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

free float rail with vertical grip and mount the light that way

I've never understood a light that you had to reach forward to turn on, on a rifle with standard hand guards

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

And I've never understood $150 in otherwise unnecessary gear to just mount a flash light. ;)

Serious its not a reach to turn it on, you push your knuckle 1/4".

4. My Fenix TK10 wasn't a bad light, though it was a bit heavy. I have a C4 TLR1 now and I love it.

5. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

depends where you hold your hands. I never hold my rifles having my weak arm that far down the hand guard.

Just saying :dunno:

plus they don't cost $150 if you don't want a FF rail. You can get a simple 2 piece for a lot less than that (and a LOT less than that stock that was pretty unnecessary on that rifle IMHO)

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Maybe I've got big hands, the difference between holding as far back on the hg as possible and far enough forward to activate the light is 2" or so.

I'd stand by the stock over a quad rail still. I get an adjustable stock with a nice solid lockup, storage, and a rifle that balances very well. A big cheap quad rail with a cheap stock just gets me a front end heavy rifle that looks cool on arf.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I like the standard pistol weaponlight w/ rocker switch on a piece of rail at 10:30 on the handguard. You can hit it with your support thumb without shifting your grip. Great for momentary on usage which is what you want to be doing in a low light no light situation. You can always use your thumb to flip it the other way for constant on. This is the set up I use for night matches and I pretty much crush people including the swat guys.

[​IMG]

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i think you might be happier if you move the T1 all the way forward on the upper receiver.

YMMV

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

very nice set up, BTW

10. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Are you left or right handed?

That's a pretty difficult position to activate a light from with one's support hand if you're right handed. I'm not a fan of rocker switches or tape switches. My body mechanics don't like the rocker switches, and tape switches are way too easy to light ND. If i were you, i'd just change the side the light is on and push it forward, so I could use my support hand thumb to activate the light.

And that UBR must be as heavy as they say if your rifle is more than 8.5 lbs, dang!

Any particular reason your Aimpoint is mounted so far back?

11. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

It'd be easier to find the dot IMHO.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've tried all the way forward and I don't really see a difference other than I feel like the sight obscures more of my vision. Further back it disappears better for me.

I do think a thumb switch setup might be a little easier and I might move to it eventually but this is honestly way easier to use than I ever thought it would be until I tried it. A bigger button on the light would do the trick and keep it out of the way of the sling, I think.

13. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Since you're probably not mounting a 3x or NV, no need to put it all the way forward, you're right, the tube will obscure your vision. Very nice looking rifle, I wish I could find a pencil barrel for cheap these days. You notice it string after you fire a few rounds, or not so much?

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't notice it much but with the price of ammo its not like I'm dumping mag after mag at the range either. :big grin:

A side thought on ease of activation of the light like this, I'm running straight handguards, if you have tapered guards then your fingers probably would rest in a position that would make this impractical.

15. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

The previously pictured lower got a magpul moe stock, grip and trigger guard today. On the upside the stock locks up pretty tight. On the downside I'd forgotten how much balance a heavier stock like the ubr adds to a rifle, even one with a light profile barrel. Snapping that upper on this lower makes it feel so front heavy and unbalanced. I believe this is destined to be my light budget beater build so I think I'll keep it but I had forgotten how spoiled the ubr has me. The lighter stock makes the rifle feel so much...bulkier and heavier, its like shooting my 870.

I will check out the acs too when it comes out, maybe do a build with one of each.

16. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

shit looks heavy, especially if you're totin an additional bcg in the grip, ha

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If 8.5 pounds is a heavy rifle to you, you're not spanking it nearly as much as I expected you to be.

18. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

[​IMG]

should pick up one of those

19. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I'll bet that UBR balances your rifle pretty damn well.