Pretty disappointed.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by makemedie, Jan 19, 2008.

1. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I've never done detailing before, ever. After lurking around and reading several guides and visiting detailing forums etc, I went out and purchased -

Meguiars NXT Car Wash
    Meguiars Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish
    Meguiars Gold Class Wax

Invested into that stuff, got home, and decided I'd try it out on my mother's car. Spent 4 hours, by hand, fixing her up, and.. well, I'm too disappointed to even take pictures. Sure there's a bit of shine, but not that much of a difference from a regular hose-down + wipe.

I'm pretty disappointed, however, I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with the fact that I dont have any hand-held rotaries or that other recommended machine called the UDM. I was thinking of purchasing a UDM, and some scrap doors from the junkyard just to practice. Ya'll think it'd be worth it? Would that actually make as much of a difference as I think it will?

Cheers.

2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, it will. and you don't have to get junk panels with a DA polisher. just practice on what you have. also, check into some of the online stores. many of those products will yield better results than what you have already purchased.

3. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I was under the impression that Meguiars makes some of the best?

What's a "DA polisher"? Are UDMs easier to use than those rotaries?

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

How exactly did you use the polishes? Did you wipe them on like a wax or did you work them into the paint like described in the swirl removal by hand sticky?

Obviously, Meguiars retail level line isn't going to give as good results as using Meguiars professional products with a buffer.

The UDM is a dual action (DA) random orbital (RO) polisher. Unlike a rotary that spins in a circle at high rpms, the UDM spins at a lower rate and also oscillates as it rotates, much like the motion of your hand. It won't correct paint nearly as fast as a rotary but it is a much safer way to machine polish for the beginner. Pretty much the only way to damage your paint with one is to drop it on your car.

This .gif on this page shows how the UDM head moves vs the PC:

http://www.autogeek.net/udm-ultimate-detailing-machine.html

The rotary spins on it's axis at a much higher rate.

5. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

I ended up wiping ALL of them on in a circular motion :| Crap, that explains why the wax left a bit of a swirly impression. Crap.

I didn't realize you guys used the professional products. I went ahead and purchased all of these because, well, its all I could get a hold of. Being a university student and all, the cost of just this stuff alone mortally fucked me over ($110!?!?).

So where's a good place to buy a good cheap UDM? :( I'm in NZ, so shipping's gonna fuck me over too. Sigh.

EDIT: Also, so with a UDM if it does do paint correction, but just slowly, does it still compare well with rotaries? I mean, can I expect it to end up fixing ALL problematic areas that a rotary would? I spoke to a "groomer" at my dad's work place (he works for Land Rover NZ), and the guy had a rotary. Said the biggest issue with them was heat, which can really fuck your paint. Is that an issue with UDMs too?

6. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

Meguiars stuff is about the best you can get off the shelf. The Mirror glaze product line is their top shelf professional stuff that works pretty good but you need a polisher to get the most out of. The NXT car wash is pretty good stuff though

7. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You can achieve about 90% of what a rotary can with the UDM, but to get that 90%, it will take you about 3 times as much polishing.

8. mgardula

mgardula New Member

You'll get better, quicker correction with rotary. Practice makes perfect. Find some clunker to practice on. Use UDM on your ride for now.

9. albuffit

albuffit New Member

what exactly are you trying to achieve? what condition is your mom's car?

10. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

11. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

might be a dumb question...but what color is your mom's car? If its a light color and was in semi-decent condition you probably wouldn't notice a whole lot of change.

12. makemedie

makemedie OT Supporter

Dark Blue, sir. Color's similar to my car. But a lot better condition. Far from the condition my car's in.