A&P pretty damn impressive!

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Girth, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Just put my order in yesterday!!! :cool:

[​IMG]

2. fukijama1

fukijama1 OT Supporter

what is it?:)

3. Girth

www.whcc.com

Printing lab. I've always heard great things about them, finally decided to sign up. Their prices are reasonable, and their turn around time is unreal!!!

That shipment is my 5 free 8x10s to test the calibration of my monitor vs their print.

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yup, they are awesome and have completely killed any reason to do any printing at home. Considering they get things printed and shipped within 24 hours usually and then two day shipping is included in their low prices, there is just no reason to use anything else.

You'll be happy with them.

5. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Prices are still better at Costco. :dunno:

6. mojito

mojito New Member

quality and selection isn't

7. mojito

mojito New Member

depends on the printer :noes:

my cost for a 16x24 is under $4

but I do outsource all my small prints, just not worth the time

8. Girth

if a customer is paying me a hefty sum of money for shooting pictures, I don't think its fair to them to get their pics printed at Costco. :dunno:

9. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Why? Do you feel you are giving them higher quality if you have to pay more for the print regardless if the quality is the same

Higher money is not higher value

A fugi Fonteir printer is a Fugi frontier printer.

But WHCC uses kodak

But many will agree that Kodak Endura and Fugi Crystal Archive are very similar in results.

Personally, I dont live by a costco so I can not comment on them specifically, but I like that I can obtain a printer profile for any every specific Costco printer and can have Photoshop softproof my images so I can simulate what the image will look like from their printer, where as WHCC and MPIX will not give the profile and so you have to guess and tweak through their 5 free 8 x 10's. I just went down this road with them 2 weeks ago

10. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Hey, it's no Epson 11880, but it's not bad! :p

11. Girth

While I agree with somethings you're saying, I don't agree with the fact that I can get my pictures done walmart style. I take pics like any soccer mom takes a pic. Yes, I have a higher grade camera. Yes, I understand a little more about it sometimes, but I don't think the soccer mom is putting her name out there to be judged by her pictures.

If I take my pictures to the same place as that soccer mom, why do I want to risk my quality and color to a minimum wage worker that knows nothing about coloring, sharpening, etc. Yes the printers might be the same, but the understanding and the level of communication from a printing lab is a little more comforting. I honestly would rather outsource my printing and pictures to a reputable place rather than having another variable to worry about. May it be your run of the mill printing place or buying the equipment myself and worry about the cost of products and maintainance of it.

My wife pays enough money on her laser printer, and I really don't habe the patience for that shit. I'd just rather shoot the pics. :dunno:

12. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

I tried them once, but the quality of their samples didn't match Millers.

*Edit* I would advise getting samples from different labs with the same picture to compare against.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  13. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Many home builders will buy their shit from HomDepot, the same place the DIY goes, but that does not make the DIYer a home builder.

And Wal Mart is different. Wal mart applies their own amount of color correction, contrast and sharpening, erasing all the work you put into it. And once you receive your pictures, you are hopefully going to package them in Girth Photography branded envelope of box that your wifey can whip up for you. I am not telling anyone what they should or should not do, but to do it cause by sepnding the extra money means you have to be getting a better product just means the company has done a great job marketing

14. Girth

She's doing all my printing and envelope designs when need be. I just don't want to have to worry about ink, printers, or other things of the sort just yet. Wife's 5 toners at the tune of $120 per toner is expensive enough as is!!!

15. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Hell, not to mention convenience of just FTPing the photo up and having it drop shipped directly to the client. I'm confident enough in what WHCC does that I dont even see my prints anymore. I take the money, adjust the file, upload it and they send it right to the customer withing 2-3 days. What could be better. Screw all the crap of printing and delivering yourself.

Also, for most large prints, if you go somewhere local or print them yourself, you're likely doing it as an inkjet print. While they are good prints, there is something special about a 24x36" true wet print that WHCC or other high end labs do. Its just a much more professional product for your customer.

And in the end, if WHCC costs me $5 more dollars when I'm selling a $150 print, I'm not worried about the loss of money for the convenience and quality it creates.

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

Bleh. Inkjet gives you a wider color gamut, deeper blacks, better printing materials and true archival 'glicee' processes.

Lightjet printing is 'neat'. that's about it. There are NO advantages, and to say that it's a more professional product is insane.

However, your post would have been 100% valid in 2001.

17. Girth

I can't wait to do my first metallic print on styrene!!! :noes:

18. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Read his post right above yours - his wife is going to be doing all his packaging so it can be branded. Drop shipping is not an option for him because of this

19. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I've heard lots of great stuff about WHCC, I looked into it though and maybe I read somethign wrong but it seemed like they wouldn't even deal with you if you didn't have a taxid. I know for Girth and some others that doesn't matter...that said I'll stick with MPIX (same quality as Millers and just as good). yes, I know MPIX and Millers are the same people

20. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

No taxid required with WHCC.

21. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

like I said..entirely possible I read something wrong...wouldn't be the first time:o

22. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

nice :cool:

lol

23. Girth

She can do the normal size prints up to 8x10 or maybe a bit bigger. Anything bigger than that, I'll probably use their services. That way, if anything goes wrong during shipping, I can hold them responsible!

24. aCab

aCab New Member

i've never printed ANY of my stuff :wtc:

25. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

They used to require it..along with Millers, but that has changed in the last few years.