Pressure Washer?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by pestilence, Apr 4, 2005.

1. pestilence

pestilence infiniti g35 - 298rwhp

2. Ballast

Ballast Cold Heartless Bastard

I bought a pressure washer with dual onboard detergent tanks... what a crock of shit. To use any of the detergents, you have to be on the lowest pressure. The regular hose has more water pressure than that.... but it worked pretty decent on my rims :dunno:

3. pestilence

:( dissaponiting but good to hear. atleast

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I have a customer who has a pressure washer at his house and office. I use a regular bucket of water and car wash soap and not a product you run through the pressure washer. That is probably the best way to go and you can get a decent basic pressure washer for $100 or so.

5. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

About the only thing I used a pressure washer for is doing the wheel wells and neglected Simi-/trucks/cars which I would use 600 psi's and then cleaning I angle it. The secret is let your chemicals do the work for you, I let the soap soak as long as possible. On neglected trucks/cars I would spray 3M car soap a little bit concentrated, let soak. That 3M car soap is great for neglected cars, it's a heavy duty car soap. I would not recommend engine cleaning with a pressure cleaner on nice cars, why because there is a chance that paint will come off, believe me it will. Pressure cleaning floor mats only if they are toasted, wore out mats.

Pressure cleaning does save me a lot of time doing neglected trucks/cars I would say it cuts my time in half but it’s a tool you have to have respect for and know how to use if not it can cause damage.

Pressure cleaning rims does not save you any more time on doing cars, wheels wells you still have to wash by hand to make it look good.

One more thing pressure cleaning a cars finish using high pressure causes deep scratches unseen by the eye and takes what ever wax/sealer off. Also takes oils out of the paint even next to edges. Have you ever noticest that these cars that use pressure car washes you have to glaze to get the oils back into the paint next to the trim pain in the butt. On hand wash cars its real easy to glaze or polish. That is my personal opinion

6. pestilence

so use a bucket & soap to wash, then the pressure washer to rinse it all off (at an angle)?

7. pestilence

But dont you have to use a pressure washer when detailing the engine? due to its pressure and the fact that it sprays out less water than using a garden hose?

8. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

The secret is let your chemicals do the work for you, let the soap/detergent soak, use a paint brush ect ect.
    To answer your question its up to you on using pressure, if you are careful and keep the pressure low aought so it can't cause damage. It does not take pressure to clean a newer car maybe a cake on 25 year old car yes
    On old engines you might not care if the paint comes off but on newer nicer cars I would rather clean by hand. Sometimes I just use 3M car soap /w hot water to clean engines, on greaser engines citrus cleaner.
    I don't Detail engines I just clean them and that's it, never had a customer that wanted there engine detailed real good.
    OH and other thing it best (no it’s the law) to clean a engine ether at a car wash or shop. If you have to do it use a field away from any drain

9. pestilence

thanks all for your advise and help