Pressure sensors

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 4W4K3, Dec 18, 2006.

1. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Hope this is the right place.

Anyone have any info on the pressure sensor "regulations" that have to be met by Sept. 2007 for I'm assuming ALL American cars?

I have heard from several people that by Sept. 2007, every car manufactured in America will have to have presssure sensors. Why? How? I HATE pressure sensors...

"The NHTSA rule calls for all new vehicles sold in the United States to be equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) by September 2007, with 70 percent equipped by September 2006." - http://www.michigansmalltech.com/News/detail.asp?ContentId=009D2253-8EA3-4A19-A696-B6B907028523

Anymore info?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why do you hate them?

3. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Because I work in an auto shop and they are a BITCH to work around! >-(

Crack on of those bad boys and pay $100 to replace it. I can't imagine having one on every wheel I touch. :(

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Tundra has em... Never had a prob with em. Actually they keep me on top of airing up my tires.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Yup alot of Nissan and Toyota trucks have them. But the machines we use crush them like toothpicks if you aren't paying attention. It really slows the mounting process down with pressure sensors (at least for me.)

6. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

Dude, they aren't hard to work around at all.....
    We see them all the time at work.
    Just pay attention to what you are doing.

If you are worried about cracking them, loosen the nut that holds in it place and let it fall in the tire before you break it down.....
    Just don't forget to reinstall before you seat the bead. :big grin:

And FYI, it's not actual pressure sensors that are required, it's pressure monitoring systems.
    Alot of cars use the ABS system to monitor differences in wheel speed instead of the sensors.

7. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Pay attention...

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Seen that as well. Better IMHO, but I believe it's even more expensive than the wheel sensors. All the lower end model cars will probably have the plastic sensors.

Maybe "pay more attention" wasn't the right words. You jsut have to work slower. I get more money if I work faster, it's just annoying. :wtc:

9. alltracman78

alltracman78 New Member

:laugh:

Well that's part of the problem...
    Toyotas use metal sensors, not plastic.....
    When are some companies going to learn plastic isn't always the answer?

And as far as Toyota anyways, the sensors are on the higher models.
    Using the ABS is cheaper, it's already there.
    If you use direct pressure sensors, you have to add 4 or 5 sensors, wiring, and another friggin ECU.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

they all use meta :ugh2:

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you sound not so bright...

the abs option is WORSE

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Um, no they don't. The stem might be metal, but it connects to a black plastic box. It's usually flimsy enough to shatter if you simply squeeze it in your fist. The clamps and machinery we use when mounting are powerful enough to amputate your fingers if you're not careful...sensors don't stand a chance :noes:

[​IMG]

Look at it from my perspective. I can break down the tire as normal and not have to worry about sensors in each and every tire. So it's BETTER to have the cheap ABS system. :bigthumb:

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

It takes an extra 4 seconds if that to move the wheel around on the machine so you aren't breaking the sensor with the head you're using to pry the tire off the wheel. I work in a tire store myself. If you put the sensor just past where you're shoving the metal bar under the tire you're fine when dismounting. Put the sensor in the same spot when you're putting it back together.

IMO I hate band sensors WAY more than I hate the regular metal/plastic ones. ABS ones are okay but those usually can't be reset by hand which is a pain in the ass to explain to customres who want everything done there and then.

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I have yet to run into those. Someone else would probably have to show me what to do.

15. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

For band sensors you break the tire down at the valve stem. Assuming the band sensor is on the wheel correctly, the sensor portion of it is 180 degrees from where the valve stem is. They're all right from the factory, you run into problems once tire shops or whoever start breaking the bands and they're left getting a new one and putting it back together. They aren't too much more difficult than regular sensors, they're a little more bulky because most of them are old technology (like on some of the C4 Vettes) so they can be a pain sometimes.