Prescott Cpu Temp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ihkskim, Oct 11, 2005.

1. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

i'm having some major problems w/ my system when it comes to gaming. i did a 3d test and i get 10FPS. in Counter Strike Source i get 29FPS. It USED to run awesome on my computer when i had a 19" LCD but after i got my 24" and when i changed it back to my 19" it still ran like crap.

my setup is

2405 fpw 24"
    3.2ghz prescott cpu
    x800 256mb pro
    1gb pc3200 ram

the games just run like shit on my computer.. the ONLY thing i noticed that can possibly cause a problem was my cpu temp.. its running at 85C (186F) at idle. is that considered high and can it affect how my games run?

2. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

lmao, 85C. say goodbye to your CPU at those temps, that's incredibly too high. I personally wouldn't suggest running past 60C MAX load temps, and i like to run 20-39C idle (i'm using a $9 aircooled HSF, so not asking much for my system.)

Prescott's run hot, yes, but not that hot. You need to remount your HSF and make sure you've got a layer of thermalpaste on htere and thats it's mounted porperly andthe fans are all working. if everythign is in/on right, and same temps, you need a better cooler...a way better cooler. make suer you are running at stock voltages as well.

a monitor change shouldn't cause gaming problems, let alone temp problems. i'd try re-installing moniitor and video card drivers, and making sure my system wasn't running any useless background apps while trying to play the game. scan for malware as well, although i doubt that's a serious problem compared to temp issues.

3. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Shouldn't be running that hot, my 3.4E runs at 67 MAX under full load.

This is in a Lian Li midtower with a Zalman 7700-Cu

4. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

so is that why my games are running at 10fps maybe? all drivers are up to date and i did reformat my system

5. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

Depends on what games you're talking about and what settings you're attempting to run them at. There's a good chance it's at least part of the problem.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I would agree with Mikey D, it's at least part of the problem. What settings are your games at, and what game in particular is running badly?

Before I would try troubleshooting the gaming problem, I'd be lowering the temps. No use fixing the FPS of a game and then having your CPU catch fire.

7. tony

tony Guest

At that temp, the CPU's thermal overload protection will be on. It slows the CPU down to prevent damage.

Fix your cpu cooling.

8. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

i play doom 3, cs:s and bf2. they used to run really well on high detail 1920x1200 resolution. Doom 3 runs ok when there are no enemies. cs:s straight up runs like shit.. bf2 same

9. bobbyseatbelt

bobbyseatbelt New Member

^^ that dude speaks the truth. i believe most modern intel procs do this. its likely that you just knocked the heatsink so its not on right or something. just open the box up and take the hsf off, maybe add some new thermal paste and reapply. boot back into windows and watch the temps. repeat if needed :bigthumb:

you might also want to check and see if you have a lot of dust buildup between the fins on the hsf. i ran into this once and didn't notice it until i took the fan off of the heatsink..

10. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

What temp monitor are you using? If a temp monitor says 85C on startup something can't be right.

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Damn, you want to cook me some bacon and eggs while you got it going?

12. JaJae

JaJae New Member

if you're going to add more paste, remove the old first. alcohol works well.

13. ihkskim

ihkskim OT Supporter

i use the bios one and a 3rd party software.. they are both similar results

14. NPH

NPH Guest

my 3.2E Prescott with Artic Silver Ceramique & Zalman CPU cooler..

Idle: 43c
    Full: 56c

at 85c your shit is toast.

15. AeroSquid

AeroSquid New Member

QFT

74c = Max operating temp for Prescott cores. Anything over that and the CPU will throttle down.

16. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Holy shit 85c? :run:

Check the fans.