Presario 700 problems.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Moloko, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Moloko

Moloko New Member

Someone gave me a Presario 700 for doing work on their truck. Its a 1.2ghz Athlon, 20gig drive, 256 ram, etc. Anyway, he thought it needed a new DVD drive because the CD wouldn't boot, or read the XP CD. I found that the XP install was just screwed, so after a repartition, and format, I installed windows ME since I had it laying around. All is going well, until it came to boot into windows. Its doing the same thing it was doing with the screwed up XP install. As soon as the login screen goes on, the screen goes black and wont respond. If I restart and go into safe mode, it loads fine. Is there a known problem with these computers, and this issue? I am trying to reflash the ROMpag, but as usual Hp's FTP site is giving me crap. I'm hoping a re-flash may fix this.... its a nice laptop..

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's an hp/compaq. nice cannot be used to describe it unless preceeded by "not".

please don't run winme.

probably chipset/video driver issue.

3. Moloko

Moloko New Member

I agree it seems something with video. Anything I can do to further diagnose it?

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

install the chipset and video drivers :rolleyes:

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Temporarily disable ACPI in the bios too, if you have the option. That should prevent Windows from shutting off the screen, if that's really what it's doing. It's also possible that the screen resolution is too high; boot up in VGA mode (not Safe Mode), which loads Windows normally except for the screen resolution, and see if it loads properly.

6. Moloko

Moloko New Member

Since its a compaq, I dont have the option to ender the bios setup menu without some kind of boot disk, which I dont have. How do I get into the vga version of windows? BTW, this is a fresh install of ME and still doing it.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need to install the driver. do so in safe mode.

8. Moloko

Moloko New Member

Well I'm still waiting for the compaq FTP to become um.. available so I can get the drivers. I forgot to mention that sometimes when it boots, if you have a boot disk in, it will just give a "disk I/O error, please remove disk and press any key" and other times it will boot off the disk like it should. If you try to boot off a windows XP cd, it will just keep restarting right after the "compaq" flash screen.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

run memtest86 and prime95.