A&P Preparing to print

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Jul 19, 2008.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

How do you guys prepare your images for printing? I'd like to get the most out of my prints, but haven't done much beyond giving walmart the files:)

I have sent a few things to york photo labs and got back great results so maybe I should just send everything away to pros, but the next question is should I do any resizing or should I just tell the print lab what size I want back and let them do the crop/resize?

Anything other tips would be helpful since I'm a total noob at this.

Evan

2. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

I usually print from PS. Here's how I do it.

Get your ruler out and mesaure how big you want your image to be.

Open the image size window in PS, untick resample image, set the resolution to 300dpi. Click ok. Go back into the image size window and tick resample image and then set the width and height in cm or mm. Convert to CMYK, print it out. Check the print againt the screen and calibrate your monitor so that the two look the same.

Play around with levels, curves, saturation unil you are happy with everything. Print out again and see how it looks. I always set the printer to determine the colors, dunno why, was told that it's best so that there's no need for conversion (that is if if you have a 4 ink printer) of colors between the two devices.

There's usually a dpi sweetspot for printers, I never print out in 300dpi as the printer isn't that fine, 240dpi is a lot better for me.

Make sure you save the calibration setting on your monitor aswell, this will come in handy hen you want to print out and set the levels. Also, it's a good idea to calibrate for night and day, even evening, when it's dark but you don't have any lights on.

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Very nice info. I doubt I'll ever print my own images though since out of all I take I only find very few that I consider worth printing and not nearly enough of them to justify the cost of buying and supplying a high quality photo printer.

Evan

4. Bloke

Bloke Banned

what kind of paper do you use? i think i should have bought that ilford one, instead of canon photo paper pro