Prenatal Paternity Test question

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by S13Koop, Oct 24, 2005.

1. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

Is it absolutely impossible to get a paternity test AFTER 30 weeks?

2. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I dont know if its impossible. But if it can be done, im sure its VERY pricy and EXTREMELY intrusive for the baby. They would have to somehow get a needle to the baby and draw some blood to test the DNA since the buccal swab is probabily impossible to do.

edit; I just called my ex thats a nurse and asked her.

She says that the only way to do it would be by extracting Ambiatic(sp?) liquid. However, the test its not likely to be very acurate , it would be 3 or 4 times more expensive than a regular test ,and most importantly. You are going to have a very hard time finding a Dr willing to do it. The reason being, that when they extract that fluid. You risk puncturing a hole big enough in the bag where it could cause a miscarriage.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  3. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

yes, I'm finding out that a amniosyntesis (sp?) is very risky at this point and some have quote me up to $1900.

I guess I'll have to wait 3 more months

on a side note, she says she is 30 weeks at this point and I'm not seeing how that puts me as the potential father (we had sex in Feb)

4. Asses Maximus

Asses Maximus Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Guns d

I think it sounds pretty close.

5. purplebeast

Sounds posible. But do u know when she gets her period? Drs count the term based on when is the last time she had her period. As of where most people think of the term based on when they think the baby was concieved. Do the math, it may let u off the hook.

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Make note that a pregnancy is actualy 40 weeks too, and not 36 as some assume (those that assume 9 months/4 weeks in a month).
    Like PurpleBEast said, doctors count from the date the last menstrual period started. Which means conception normaly should have occured about 2 weeks after that.
    No offense, but I think you should just stick it out for the 3 months left. It's not that long, and amniocentesis are expensive and come with some risks for both mother and child.
    Good luck!

7. purplebeast

Yes he should just stick it out for 3 months and be there for her and the baby. Even tho it may turn out not to be his. The Karma is too much too risk in the event that it is his.

8. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

oh, I don't mind being there, but me and the girl just wanted to know before hand(guess we should have thought of that earlier)
    Its just the ex bf/ex-friend isn't really helping at all and he really has doubt that its his, but I think it is
    We'll see i guess

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Sheer curiosity, but how will you feel if it IS yours?

10. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

I won't feel bad honestly. We were really good friends and we still talk from time to time. We just made a mistake one drunken night. I figure I'm 27, financially stable and maybe its time. I thnk the hard part would be telling my current GF.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:eek3:
    I hope that someday when you really decide that 'it's time' that you go about it in a different way.
    Good luck with everything!

12. S13Koop

S13Koop OG Lurker

Well I am/was that person who always said I'd never have children and luckily I didn't do this while I was still in school or even under 25.
    I'm not angry or sad or even freaking out, but I'll take responsibilty if its mine no doubt.