Pregnancy question I can't find an answer too.

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Cerridwen, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

What happens when you only have a 3 week cycle? I still ovulate 2 weeks into my cycle.
    My doctor dropped a nice little bombshell on me last Friday, and asked me how I would feel if I were pregnant (due to my IUD being out of place). She won't do a blood test until next week though, which is after my period is due. I'm assuming that a home pregnancy test probably won't be able to pick it up yet.. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I did some searching for this when I was writing up my other thread and couldn't find an answer.
    Thanks!

2. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

What day is your period due? First Response lets you test 5 days before your period is due. May be somethin for you to invest in to calm your nerves.

3. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

But from what I'm reading, that only works on a 28 day cycle? Ovulation at 14 days, 2-8 days for the egg to implant and the hormones to start showing up, can test around 22-24 days?

With my cycle, it is still ovulation at 14 days (approx. of course), with period around 21 days. 5 days before period is due, will still be within that 'implantation' time wouldn't it?
    Right now I am around day 15/16 ish, but I ovulated early last week.
    Trying to figure this out is screwing with my head :o
    My work has a nurse that comes in once a week,and I have an appt with her tomorow as well as my appt with the dr tomorow afternoon (hopefully to convince him to do a blood test too).
    I'm excited! :)

4. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

The reason why she won't do a blood test until next week is because a bllod test can't pick up on the pregnancy hormone any sooner than a home test can. By the time the hormone is strong enough to be detectable by a blood test (6-10 days), it'll be strong enough to be detectable by a home test. So if they do a blood test today it would pretty much be wasted time and money because it hasn't been long enough. It sucks to be in a situation where your cycle is a 3wk one.

5. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

I know with my step mom (she is like 54 now or something) she had an IUD and thats how her son was made.. I belive things have impoved since.. i have not clue how her cycle is though..

BTW BLOOD tests can pick up pregnancy alot sooner then MOST urine tests.. Early Frist responce will pick it up before alot of the other urine tests..

hCG is a hormone it travles in the blood before it gets filtered out by the kidneys.. so blood tests can detect sooner and much smaller amounts..

Good luck babies are awsome!

6. IreLynx

IreLynx New Member

Here's the difference: blood tests (there are 2 types; one just gives a more accurate answer than the other type) can detect hcg by the 6th day after conception. The hormone rapidly increases in a very short time & is actually detectable by urine tests by 8-10 days; most urine tests will say to wait 14 days just in case you mis-predicted your day of ovulation and/or conception. So blood tests aren't really worth it just to detect pregnancy a whole 2-4 days sooner; what's the problem with waiting 10 days & just testing with a urine test? It's not like it's an urgent matter that requires you to know right on day 6 that you're pregnant; sure you'd be excited & don't want to wait, I can understand that. But if you test too soon with a blood test you'll run into the same problems you would by testing too soon with a urine test; less accuracy. So if blood tests can detect by day 6, it's still safe to wait until day 8-10 just in case you miscalculated when you ovulated/concieved, and by that time it's detectable by a urine test anyways. The last thing you want to do is get a blood test too soon, have it come up negative because it was too soon, and then go through a blood test again after you miss your period to see if you're pregnant. It just seems better to wait th 4 extra days, take a urine test first, and then go to the doctors for a blood test. That way since it's been 10 days since you *think* you've ovulated/concieved, you'll know that the blood test will still be able to give you a truthful answer even if you were off by 2 days in your assumed date of conception. It jus makes more sense to me that way. :)

7. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

HA! The only thing that I could think about was being pregnant. It literaly consumed my thoughts. Excited doesn't even begin to cover it.
    Yes I did have a blood test done, and it came back negative. I also think I had it done way too soon though, so I'll probably go back on Friday if I still feel this way and don't have a period. Sure, it was probably a waste of time having a blood test done, but I do feel a little bit better honestly. I have good insurance, so I'm not really worried about the money.:o
    The nurse that I saw yesterday told me that some women can 'feel' the changes in their body 24 hours after conception (due to the hormone rise). She also said that some women can fool themselves into thinking they are pregnant. I wish I knew which one of those I am :o

I do understand your point though IreLynx. :)

8. brownNeyes18

brownNeyes18 New Member

Okay, lets say that your last period started sept. 16, and while still having a three week cycle that is 24 days long you would be ovulating around Friday, September 23, 2005 to Wednesday, September 28, 2005. If you were to get pregnant you would be due .Friday, July 14, 2006. If you want to look this up for yourself you can go to www.babycenter.com when you get there go to the bottom in the search box and type ovulation calculator and you can adjust it to when ever you think that you'll be ovulating. Since i don't know when you have a period above is only a example, but you can put in there when your period is due and how long it last. I hope this helps.

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

that is awesome. Thank you!