SRS Pre-Surgery Jitters - Help!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Metal, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Metal

Metal Active Member

I'm sitting here still awake because I'm worried about the surgery that I'm having in the morning. I have really bad anxiety and I have panic disorder.. I'm scared of having a panic attack before or during surgery and not being able to calm down.. They gave me 10mg Valium tablets to take before I get to the hospital to try to have me calm by the time I get there, so hopefully it helps me out with that.

Quick story is I was in the hospital for 6 weeks with flesh eating bacteria, so all of the surgeries previous to tomorrow's were always done while I was knocked out by anesthesia (put to sleep before it even started) then I would wake up and it would be done.. helped with pain and anxiety, even though they still had to give me morphine and fentanyl afterwards for the pre-surgery pain which is expected.

But what also has me even more worried is I have a surgeon that does not want to use anesthesia for this surgery on my leg.. He ONLY wants to use Novicaine to numb the areas that he is working on!!! Everyone that I have talked to so far said that Novicaine is NOT enough for a serious surgery like this one... and because I already have chronic pain, it will be 10x as worse.. It's my first time going in without being asleep..

How do I get them to give me more pain medications and something to calm me down during the surgery, since they aren't able to put me asleep for this one because they consider it a pretty simple procedure - even though for me a 10 minute procedure can seem like 5 hours of hell, if you know what I mean!

Sorry, I just had to vent about this because I can't sleep and I don't know how to go about this, first time for me as I said.. One of my nurses told me today that I'm the patient so I have the right to TELL them that I NEED pain medication for something like this - not just novicaine (I know the novicaine doesn't work for this type of procedure because they tried it once and I was screaming, worst pain of my life... and I consider myself a pretty pain-tolerant person and won't make a noise at all)..

Any quick suggestions to calm down before the surgery and what to tell the nurses?? Maybe I should just tell them exactly what I'm writing but for some reason I feel like they aren't going to want to do it, I don't know why?? :o

Anyone? Thanks!!! :wtc:

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

Only way to know for sure is to tell them. What have you got to lose? Also if you tell them and they don't do it and you end up suffering you might be able to sue them for causing unecessary suffering. I don't know.

Good luck with your surgery though. :noes: :wavey:

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Definitly tell your surgeon how you feel about it,and that it would be of great comfort to you if extra anesthesia would be applied. You can at least call or talk to the surgeon and discuss it.

4. Metal

Metal Active Member

Thanks for your help guys... I just got back from the surgery. Everything went well but things didnt go to smooth with talking to my surgeon.. I really had to get into a pretty heated argument with him to get what I wanted, but he did it after I made it clear that I wouldn't let him perform the surgery unless he met my requests. :) Go me! :rofl:

Now I'm home and recovering.. Taking percocets like they are candy :yum: to prevent post-surgery pain, and antibiodics to get rid of some bacteria... also still feeling pretty damn good from the Valium that I took to calm me down in surgery. :blue:

5. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

I don't get why he was so adamant that you do not get extra anasthesia. :dunno:

6. verveintuition

verveintuition New Member

I'm glad you stuck to your guns on the pain medication/anesthesia.
    Did he give any reasons why he didn't want to give them to you?

I don't understand why they wouldn't. It's surgery. You have money. He gives anesthesia. :dunno:

There's no need for you to be in pain during a surgery unless it's in a "emergency shock" situation, right?
    I know they often won't give patients who are in trauma/shock pain medication, because it basically tells your body "everythings fine, you can chill and stop sending those life-saving antibodies, blood-clotting factors, etc to the wounded area."

7. Johnny Sack

Johnny Sack Penis?

Any updates? Hope it turned out ok :wavey:

8. Metal

Metal Active Member

Everything went well :)

Stupid me got all worked up before it, although you guys gave me good advice teling me to stick to my guns on the pain meds and anesthesia because I literally had to argue my way to get meds from the Doctor. :wiggle:

Doing better and I'll let you know when I post my survivor story that I'm writing for the website of the flesh-eating bacteria survivors organization. The doctors have been taking pics too :cool:

9. Ichabod Crane

Ichabod Crane Active Member

Ask for Versed. Via IV not pills. That'll get you relaxed real quick.

10. Metal

Metal Active Member

:werd: