GUN Practice...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by footratfunkface, Dec 10, 2005.

1. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

When you guys go to the range, what are your goals? What do you set out to accomplish with each range visit?

Each shooter may have different objectives. For instance, a large majority of people I see at the range will take a perfectly good rifle, and do nothing more than benchrest it and see how tight a group they can make, range trip after range trip. Some shooters just like the sound of discharging firearms, so they expend ammunition as quickly as possibly, without regard as to whether or not they are attaining anything resembling accuracy. Others still try to be quick and accurate at the same time, but are totally locked into the same routine. Some don't seem to have any purpose there at all.

My goal with this thread is to maybe make people think about what they go to the range for, and get people to throw that little switch in their brains that tells them to change their outlook on what they're at the range for.

When I go to the range, it's fun. I have a blast doing it, as should any shooter. Practice should not be uncomfortable, unless you're a liberal, and your flesh burns upon contact with firearms. But even while having fun shooting, I have a purpose. My purpose at the range is to become more efficient, more effective, and more deadly.

Firearms are tools, but when it comes down to it, the application they are best suited for is killing motherfuckers. If you shelter yourself from this, then you are in the wrong mindset for firearm ownership. When I shoot, whether it's static shooting from a fixed firing line, or dynamic shooting on an open range, my goal is to become better than the person(s) that I might run into that want(s) to kill me or someone I love. Target shooting is fine and dandy. After all, you have to start somewhere, and get down the basics of marksmanship, but you have to, at some point, move on past that. This thread is really more of a mindset thread. The vast majority of shooters do not have the mindset to practice killing people. It's just too gruesome a thought or something. Instead, they put up a round bullseye target at whatever distance, and shoot from the bench, or they try to show off to their friends, or they just "bust caps" in an inanimate piece of pressed wood fibers, never thinking about the real-world applications of the skills that they COULD be practicing.

Everyone should make a resolution this New Year's to take some sort of training to improve their skills and mindset concerning defensive firearm implementation. Instead of buying a new gadget or piece of cool-guy gear, spend that money on training. Don't just take the required training to get your carry permit (if your state requires such). Don't just take an NRA safety course. Take a two-day class at least. Take several classes this coming year. You might have to skip out on some fun stuff for a while. You might have to sacrifice some lunch money for a month or two. But think about what you'll gain in return. Actually, if you've never taken a good defensive firearms class, you have no idea what it'll do for you. It will change your world.

If you have any questions or concerns, or just want to know where to start, post in here. Someone will answer you and point you in the right direction. Location should not be an excuse. Not only are classes available in about every one of the 50 states, but you can always drive. PT and areed have come all the way to GA from MI for classes. Many times, you can sponsor the class yourself, and shoot for free. You just have to want it, and put forth the effort to make it happen. Which is the same thing for training in general.

2. I go there for the soul purpose of picking up white trash bitches. First I bound and gag them with ducktape, then I put them in my trunk and drive them over to the next town and dump them off.

3. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I go to make my groups better. In a way, this helps in the long run. I practice breath control, trigger control, and hold of the rifle. unfortunately i'm limited in the ammount of distance i can shoot, 100yds. I'd like to try some long range stuff and put the tools i've invested in to the test. It would also be helpful for me in the long run..
    I get most of my joy though of just punching paper, and it's more about the personal challenge of getting the smallest group. While you may not see this as improvement to help you kill something, in a way it does. Even the people that go to just hear the sound of the gun go bang are still helping themselves while having fun. They could be training for high volume fire scenarios and conditioning themself to control the weapon under those conditions. or maybe they go just to have fun, because shooting guns isn't merely about makeing yourself the biggest badass on the planet. it's about a personal challenge or personal enjoyment one gets from harnesing the power.

While i go to blast away sometimes, i go for personal enjoyment, and personal challenge. Not everyone has to go for the specific purpose of improving a skill, i believe skill improves naturally. Granted there are some fuckers who should just turn the gun on themselves and pull the damn trigger. I'm surprised dome people haven't shot themselves with the poor gun handling control i've seen. No wonder the rangemaster at someranges ALWAYS has a sidearm... to take out the stupid fucker who shouldn't be there.

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

if I goto the local indoor or outdoor range my basic goals or usually for tight grouping, rapid fire tight grouping, quick reloads. Sometimes I'll just go to with main goal of blowing off some steam. If I go upto my uncles who has some property sometimes I'll practice more tactical stuff I wouldnt do at the range..

5. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I go to see how many mags dumps it takes to start burning handguards.

In all seriousness, I go to practice the training I've acquired and make sure I can still get a grasp on my gun over the new fat roll I acquired from the last time I went to the range.

6. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I use to go to get good groups with my rifles. I'm guilty of doing the whole benchrest thing with my rifles, which is probably why I got bored with them so quickly. It's just seems like with rifles it's more the prework you do before you fire the shot that matters more than anything else (i.e. sighting the rifle in, adjusting for the wind and distance, and making handloads for your gun for the best groups). With a handgun if I hit the target or not is pretty much fully dependent on my gun handling skills at the moment and not whether I dialed in too much windage.

Though, I did use to shoot pellet guns for njrotc in compeitions and that was fun. It wasn't shooting in one positions off a benchrest but moving between them (kneeling, prone, standing). Maybe once I get my M1 Garand fixed from the flood I'll go give the across the course matches a try to see what they're like. I still want to get a Carbine in the future though.

When I got into handguns I use to go to the range and work on my groups. I would go out and shoot a entire brick of .22LR out of my 22/45, which is probably why I'm pretty decent with that little gun. It's also one of my favorites currently.

I've been trying to get other things I can practice at the range though. A local indoor here has steel plate setup and that's fun to shoot. Even though I'm a member at another range, I still want to go back and pay the range fee at this one to use the steel plates.

Otherwise, I've been doing draw, aim, and double tap stuff too. Found an article that was by Rob Letham and he gave some simple drills I've tried. Got a new book Friday on Shackle's suggestion and there are some drills in the back I'm going to try out the next range visit. Maybe this year if I can do some training I'll learn a bunch of new stuff.

Anyone have and good dry fire drills and range drills to practice with a handgun?

7. footratfunkface

It's got nothing to do with being a badass.

Training has everything to do with surviving the fight.

It's got nothing to do with bragging.

It has everything to do with being alive to hug your loved ones, and keeping your loved ones alive to hug.

Most people go through life, "la-dee-da-dee-da" running through their heads as they walk down the street. Training is about changing your soundtrack from the little voices in your head, to everything else around you.

8. footratfunkface

If you take some quality training, you WILL learn a fuckton of stuff. It'll blow your mind.

9. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

I shoot for target shooting for accuracy, but its also stress relief for me.. a little time I can get away and just have some fun shooting.
    I would like to take training.. how to you find what is available in your area.. I figure dallas being a large market should have something.

I am getting a new AR and would love to get really good at it.

10. monolith

monolith My soul grows ever weary and the end is ever near. OT Supporter

I go to make sure I am sighting correctly, to make my groups tighter, and to get better at longer distances.

11. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Who would you recommend that offers quality training? Hopefully some places not too far away since I'll probably be driving there.

I get online and look and can't tell who is actually worth a damn. Some intro pistol classes at places are only 1 day long and have round counts of like 100... That doesn't seem worth the travel expenditure for only a day of class.

I really really want to get up to take a class at Tactical Response but 1) there is only one class scheduled next year that I even could attempt to make with my current schedule and 2) I don't know what TN is like in Feb in TN... I live in Southern LA... I'd have no clue what to do in TN if I was up there and it was super cold... :mamoru: Really wish they would schedule a Fighting Pistol b/t May 14th and June 11th in Camden... I'd be all over it.

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

pistol.. first few mags I shoot slowly, standing up, both hands, comfortable bent knee battle stance, to improve basic shooting technique and accuracy.. than a few mags of faster shooting.. followed by one handed shooting, right and left handed. if I'm shooting my carry piece, I'll practice quick drawing and shooting, and limp wrist it to practice FTE situations. also, with pistol, I'll place two targets about 4 feet apart, and go back and forth between them, one shot each, quickly, to test target acquisition.

rifle, shoot from the bench, shoot prone, and offhand..

13. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I'm still pretty new to shooting so for right now I'm focusing on trigger control since thats my weak point. I'm trying to tighten my groupings really, once I get far enough along with that I can work on picking up speed. It kind of sucks that the range I go to wont allow me to practice drawing, or shooting more than 1 round per second. On the plus side I'm pretty sure they dont clean their rented guns, that or the reloads they make you use are just really bad so it does afford me a chance to practice FTFs. Last time I was there I got 3 double-feeds in less than 150 rounds.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sounds like the ranges here, cannt do any rapid fire at the indoor range really, cant get off 3 quick ones but they'll toss you out if you dump the mag, only allowed 5 rounds loaded for rifles :greddy: but i dont rapid fire so i just take my time and use full mags noones every said anything. Outdoor range I goto is only slightly better get yelled at doing rapid fire with rifles old lady gets on the megaphone "hey rambo no rapid fire" :mamoru: now on the other hand in the handgun section of the outdoor range ive dumped a 33 round glock mag and noone said shit :dunno:
    I'm guessing since your talking about rented guns you dont have your own yet, once you do try to find a place you can shoot with no range masters.. I go upto my uncles hes got some acreage and do what I want there, bumpfire 2 drums back to back out of the AK and noone to complain..

15. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

Do not EVER EVER EVER mention me in one of you threads again.

16. areed89

areed89 New Member

I go to the range and shoot at birds as they fly directly overhead. I also shoot at P_T's dog but I don't really have what it takes to make the hits so he's still alive.

17. Platinum_Thunder

After areed shot at my dog, I returned fire with my Wilson, but the guide rod broke and the whole gun fell apart :(

18. areed89

areed89 New Member

If we both used G-Locks exclusively Utah and I would be dead, good thing we use an inferior platform:o

19. Platinum_Thunder

Should have been shooting Browning High Powers as John fixed the mistakes he made with the 1911

20. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

what Wilson?

21. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

I goto the range to show off to my friends, that in a defense situation, im more capable of surviving than they are. I always seem to impress them each time we go hunting or to the range.

Fuck becoming more tactical thats :greddy: Tactical is just a marketing word

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

So when you go hunt deer you yell out, "STOP or I'll shoot!" and during reloads you run behind trees yelling, "DROP YOUR WEAPONS!"

23. jimmybuffett

jimmybuffett New Member

ha ha. no. but i do tend to kill more animals than they do.

24. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

In 100 words or less tell us how hunting relates to personal defense.

25. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

acquisition of a moving target