practice drills

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dranian, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Dranian

Dranian (..)

I just got home from doing some practice drills.. I went to the mall and found a security officer and asked if I could use the parking lot for motorcycle practice. He said I could.

I started out doing braking drills, accelerating to about 30 then 45 then 60 and each time when I got up to speed I'd try to stop in the least distance possible; I did each speed about 5 times.

Next I moved on to swerving. I found a few shopping carts and set them up about 3 parking spaces apart and practiced swerving through them at fairly low speeds. Then I moved up to 6 spaces apart with an offset of half a lane so I could do it faster. I was hanging off a little but nothing too extreme(no knee dragging) because I don't hang off on the street(save that for the track) I just lean over and move like an inch or 2 towards the inside. I ran each of the swerve drills a bunch of times.

I finished up by practicing low speed u-turns, trying to turn around in the smallest amount of space as tight as possible. I only did a few of these.

Next time I'll probably do more but my girlfriend called and wanted me to come home so I decided I'd get in some more practice another day. What (if anything) do you guys do for practice? I find its good to practice basic skills like thresshhold braking and swerving in case I ever encounter anything on the street that surprises me and I have to take crash avoidance action. Though I try to use a riding strategy that minimizes the chances of a surprise on the street something could still happen. How often do you practice? What drills/skills do you work on?

I've been riding for about a year on a 2002 ninja 500R and I was thinking about moving up to something a little faster. I dunno if I should yet though, the 500 handles pretty well and I probably haven't found the limits of what it can do. Maybe I'll keep it a while longer. I wish there was a track closer to me so I could get some more track practice but they're all pretty far away. I'm also thinking of taking the MSF advanced course sometime in the next few months. That should help keep me brushed up on the basic skills.

I guess this post is getting kinda long so I won't ramble on any more. Ride safely.

2. cellphone

cellphone Must not sleep.....

depending on the quality of the parking lot you could practice 40mph turns. cut up some tennis balls and use them as markers to "make" a turn. if you have a buddy there work on body positioning etc have them take pictures of you so you can see if it looks like your hanging off correctly.

also make 2 circles and loop around 1 cw then the other ccw to practive transitions. basically firgure 8