GUN Practical Rifle Night Match, Dec 12 2009 Portland OR

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Market Garden, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Practical Rifle Night Match, Dec 12 2009 Portland OR / CQB Dec 5th

Ok west coast guys... Who would be interested in shooting the Practical Rifle night match with the Tri County Gun Club? This is the match that Hoss, Chip, and I shot with Keesh last month, but it's at night. The whole lot of us had more fun than should be legally allowed, and doing all of this in the dark seems like it would be even better. If you have never shot in the dark before, it's totally different from anything you've done. Really, in the dark the skill of a decent rifle shooter in the light is worth nothing. It's really something to experience, and really worthwhile if you consider that there are many scenarios where you would need to shoot in the dark.

I'm just putting this out there now to see if we can drum up some interest. We can bump and update this thread as we get closer to the date. I figure 4 months advance warning should allow people to get some plans in place.

EDIT 8/21/09...

The match is from 16:00 until 21:00 on the 12th. That's a Saturday. If people want to come up with stuff to do before or after the match those are the times we have to work around. I know jack shit about Portland, so maybe some of the guys from down that way have some suggestions for stuff to do.

EDIT 9/1/09

There's a CQB match the weekend before (the 5th) This is another possibility, is there any interest in this vs. the night match?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

keesh told me about this one and im itching to come back up and shoot, the only thing is December 12th might be right in the middle of my finals schedule :sad2:

I'll have to put this one on hold for the time being, and see when my finals are; hopefully i can make it up :x:

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Is this another low roundcount nonsense.

4. Sorry, it may not be up the the standards of your matches. I don't know why we even participate in such lame matches. :hsugh:

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Where is this? I'm in SoCal :(

6. It's just south of Portland. The match that Chip and I went to was a fucking blast. Shooting in the dark is a blast too. It's totally worth making the drive for.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Cable guy X3 is going to do weapon light matches once daylight savings is over. So you can shoot a ipsc match saturday day (pistol match is kind of so so) night match (weaponlight and flashlight w/ pistol, weaponlight w/ shotgun, weaponlight with rifle.) Then the next day a 3 gun match. Some of us camp out at the range or get a local motel.

Oh this is every 3rd weekend.

8. Ok... This thread is to see what the interest level is for, and make plans for the Dec 12th night match. If you want to talk about your matches, make a different thread. There are plenty of matches for everyone to shoot, and this match is really neat because it gives people the chance to shoot in a situation where they're likely to experience in real life, but they don't have much opportunity to shoot in a competition environment. While I think your matches are neat too this is not the place to talk about them.

9. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

gonna bring your SBR?

oh wait...

10. Fuck you. At least my 14.5" barrel has reliable fragmentation out to 75 yards with M193.

11. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

Would def be interested.

We need to plan shit before and after the event though!

12. This is what I had in mind. We need to make a real event of it. I think we could rally have a lot of fun.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

No need to get all butt hurt. At least there won't be any California guys whooping on you

wink at hoss

14. Um... I'm not butthurt, just trying to keep this on track. If you can fit it into your schedule you should come. It's not a major match or anything, but it will be fun and really, even just going to Red Robin and chatting about random shit last time after the match we had a good time. :)

15. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I'm totally going to redeem the honor of WA state shooters with my SPR-ish!

If there is freezing rain that weekend i'm gonna bounce though, lol!

16. Hell, I've shot in weather where it was so cold (like 20º F) the recoil from my 1911 was painful, and it was still a good time. There's an adrenaline rush that you get from shooting at that point that makes it all worth it. I can't explain it, but it's there.

17. Laurel

Laurel New Member

I'll come watch/hang out/ be a groupie. I'm bringing several pairs of long underwear, a snowboarding jacket, hand warmers, and a golf umbrella though. Down for Portland area bars. I hear their beer scene is much "hipper" than Seattle's, plus I won't be driving. ;)

18. We can take the XJ down.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

if it rains those butler creek flip top scope covers are a must. I shot way too many rain matches this year.

I did get a good laugh, on one stage another competitor had his rifle staged 45 degrees muzzle down (RnR drop box) and water filled up in the cavity of the back of his scope. He had one of those monster US optic scopes. Well he shoots his pistol and then runs and grabs his rifle. As he mounted the rifle and brought the scope up it threw like a shot glass full of water in his face. He put the rifle down and then wiped off his shooting glasses then tried to wipe out the lens. Then he tried to shoot long range and went CHS (can't hit shit). We all got a good laugh out of that one. So yeah get some flip top scope covers for your optics, flip them up at the last second to shoot. Also get all rain geared out. That means scotch guard, water proof jacket and pants, and some good boots or cletes

20. Hell Ray, come have fun with us. We had a great time last time.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well maybe if you get AB to shoot. I've been meaning to tell that guy off.

22. AB is dangerous with a rifle. :hsugh: Maybe Chip and I can teach him a few things this saturday.

23. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

It's only 2300 miles...... :(

24. You can do it! Really though, I know there are a bunch of people on the west coast, and I hope that if we start talking about this 4 months in advance maybe people can make plans for it. I know it's not close to everybody, but really it's as good as we're going to get for a real match that most people can realistically shoot on the west coast.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well I would be more up for it if it was a real 3 gun match. Albany rifle and pistol do a great match with breaching doors that you have to shoot open and stuff like that. The long range is a little short compared to what we see in CA, only going out to 240 or so but it's still a really nice range.