GUN practical difference between "sabot" and "rifled" slugs? (+ bonus Bass Pro report)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AVengeance, May 22, 2009.

1. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Subject says it all.

First, I was at Bass Pro Shops yesterday (5/21) evening. They actually had a good selection of rifle ammo, including the 200rd boxes of Remington UMC .223 cal. One thing sorely lacking was handgun ammo. More than totally empty, but not much. The only 9mm was some +P. I guess people think it's a different bullet and won't fit their non +P pistol or something... so I snagged a box, along with some 00 buckshot and some .223 Ballistic Silvertips (they were on sale, what can I say?). There's still a sign imposing a 2-box limit on handgun ammo (no such limit or rifle/shotty).

Anyway, so to my question. I was about to pick out some slugs, and I notice Remington has both sabot and rifled. I recently bought an unchoked Remington 12ga., so I'm sure it would fire both, but what's the PRACTICAL difference between the two?

Thanks.

2. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

sabot = rifling in the barrel
    rifled = rifling on the slug

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

sabot slugs are designed to be shot out of a rifled barrel. Sabot slugs are jacketed like a traditional bullet, or are encased in a polymer shell. If you have a barrel without interchangable choke tubes (ex fixed IC barrel) then you can shoot sabot slugs out of them but it will be less accurate as the sabot slugs are slightly undersized. If you have interchangable chokes and you shoot sabots then your probably going to fuck up your choke tubes.

Rifled slugs should be shot out of smooth bore barrels. The rifling is on the slug itself which is soft lead and from what I understand is there to deform as it passes through the choke, thus you get a decent seal as it goes down the barrel, but it does not damage the choke as it passes though.

Regarding chokes you can shoot "rifled" slugs through most chokes including full chokes although that is typically not recommended. Most people shoot slugs through IC or at most Mod choke. You have to test your chokes and slugs to make sure they shoot point of aim. Even two identical chokes of the same constriction and manufacturer can have two different points of impact.

Rifled chokes should not be shot though rifled shotgun barrels as they rifling of the slug will work against the rifling of the barrel. You'll get serious leading in the barrel which can be unsafe, and the slug will be pretty unstable as it leaves the barrel and do weird stuff like keyhole on target.

cliffs

Rifled shotgun barrel
    • sabot slugs only
    • no rifled slugs
    • no birdshot or buckshot
    Smooth bore shotgun barrel w/ or w/o chokes
    • Rifled slugs only
    • birdshot buckshot

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  4. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

advantages of sabot (assuming rifled barrel) over rifled slugs (smooth bore)?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

effective range and balistic coefficient. Typical rifled slugs out of a smooth bore are accurate out to 100 yards and effective out to 200 though it is not easy to actually hit with any precision out at that distance. There are some new slugs that claim to be accurate out to 200 but I have not played with them as they are $$$.

The sabot slugs through a rifled barrel are accurate out to 200 without much difficulty. The new sabot designs claim accuracy out to 275. Of course effective range is even further but it's about being able to hit what you aim at.

6. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

its generally known that sabot slugs fired through a rifled barrel will generally be substantially much more accurate vs. rifled slugs shot through a smooth bore

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

fuck thats what I get for opening a thread and then replying to it over two hours later

8. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Okay, another question.

Shooting a RIFLED slug out of a RIFLED barrel would put all kinds of crap into the barrel rifling, correct? So that would be a big no-no.

On the other hand, can you shoot a smooth slug out of a smooth bore?

My question is becase way way back, when I got my 1st shotty from my friend (older 12ga.), I purchased some sabot slugs for it, not knowing there were different kinds. More recently, I bought a Rem 870 Tactical. I COULD get a rifled barrel, but that's $$ down the tubes if I don't need it. I don't want to explode, so if I can't shoot the sabots out of even an unchoked bbl, then I'll maybe sell the slugs or buy a rifled barrel, just to have it around. If I can, then I'll deal with the decreased accuracy.

Thoughts?

I've never fired ANY slugs out of either of my shotguns, but I do know the old one I got used has some level of choke on it. The 870 has the "tactical" door breacher thingy, which does not choke at all (and is removable).

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Read my posts again it answers your questions.

There are no "smooth" slugs. They typically have some sort of serations often in the spiral often refered to as "rifled". The whole purpose of this is to deform as it passes though a interchangable choke so as not to damage the choke tube. If the slug were completely smooth and not undersize it would not be able to deform and would damage the barrel or choke.

If you got a smooth bore internal IC choke as is typical with with riot gun style shotguns such as the 870 tactical you can shoot sabot slugs out of it but again it would kind be a waste. Sabot slugs are slightly undersized to engage the rifling of a rifled barrel. Thus it would kind of bounce it way down the barrel hurting accuracy.

Unless your sitting on a case of sabots or something. I'd just keep them and buy some rifled slugs to shoot out your 870 tactical.

10. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

After reading this thread about the different slugs, I started buying them at walmart. The local walmart has the Winchester 12ga 2.75" 1oz 1600fps rifled slugs, box of 15 for $8.50.

Went out and shot some shit this weekend. I work in IT so this was quite fitting...

[​IMG]

11. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

^^^^^

w...o...w

12. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

Ah. Now see that's the information I'd heard before. That ALL slugs have these collapsing grooves in them. Then when I start looking at slugs in the store (while :wtc: over lack of selection of 9mm ammo) I see Remington has what they call "sluggers" and "sabot"... so they have two... but why? So then I'm asking for the clarification. Thanks, it is making more sense now. The "rifled" slugs have grooves more specifically designed to give the slug "spin" and should never be used in a rifled barrel.

I just want to know if I can shoot them safely if I had to use them. I wasn't sure if the "Slugger" slugs were anything special, so I didn't buy any until I looked them up on Remington's website. I may go ahead and get some rifled slugs, just to have them around. I have two rifles I can hunt with, but the more versatility every gun has, the better.