PPC Mac crew: Would a Dual 867mhz PowerMac G4 be faster than my mac mini?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ///M, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ///M

///M New Member

I have a 1.42ghz G4 Mac mini with 1gb of RAM that I've been using for nearly 3 years. I have an opportunity to buy one of the MDD G4 PowerMacs in the dual 867Mhz configuration with 1.5gb of RAM, for $100. Which would likely be faster for just browsing and stuff?

I'm planning on getting an Intel mac sometime next year, but for now a G4 should work out considering my mac isn't my main computer :o

2. ///M

///M New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (htc touch : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint MP6900SP)

:hs:

3. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

The 1.42ghz G4 Mac mini would be faster than a dual 867MHz G4.

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

yeah im going to say a bit slower. save your money for an intel.

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

no...

ppc support is pretty much dead, just save and get an intel.

6. dmora

dmora Guest

The Mac Pro will be faster. Its dual CPUs will be FAR better than the one in the mac mini. THe ONLY thing good the mac mini is good for is web/email/itunes. I dare you to run photoshop or illustrator or any other production app on it.

That being said... try to save money for a newer tower.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I run Photoshop on my ppc just fine. Of course I'm not doing any heavy multitasking on it.

8. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

i used to keep photoshop, illustrator and azureus open on my 1.42 mini all the time.

though as others have said, the intel mini 1.83 is only ~600 right now and yours will probably sell on ebay for ~300. i would make the move up to intel.

9. Drloveless

Drloveless Mac Crew

duals> singles. Also, 867 has more L2 cache, faster rpm drives, upgradable video, the benefits are endless.Even cpus can be swapped, get a dual 1.8ghz card like me, you wont regret it.

Intel mini, macbook, macbook air, anything with intel graphics ahahahaha fail.

In all honesty shit is so cheap now, if you want a decent machine, buy videocard, flash to mac, ram, and hdd. DONE. Intel graphic machines are a waste of money. Can a mini , macbook, and macnook air run half the new intel only games??? NO. they dont have the required hardware. Thus, in pro apps, this is very apparent, including photoshop and especially illustrator. Run illustrator with a heavy point graphic on a intel mini and on decked out dual g4 with good video like mine, and while the mini bottlenecks and slows, im done rendering.

Thus, add power to the powermac and have a fast machine, or invent in an intel powermac or macbook pro. Anything less, is pointless, its like buying a celeron acer.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  10. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

say wha? :confused:

11. TheUsualSuspect

TheUsualSuspect And poof. Just like that, he's gone.

The MDD's are very capable. With the right tweaking they can be a great value. You can overclock the 867's to 1Ghz and increase the bus to 167, which would really help that machine.

Look what this guy can do on a dual 1.42 with an upgraded video card
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTq7Y8gAsWM