Powermac wont boot? HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5SpeedSER, May 15, 2008.

1. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Well i just picked up a quicksilver powermac g4 733mhz cheap (20 bucks...lol). Mainly cause it wont power up. It didnt have a cmos battery in it so i put one in and still nothing. Basically what happens is once i hit the power button it lights up while im holding it and then shuts off, the powersupply fan spins up and then shuts off and nothing happens.

Any clues? ive tried diffrent ram in it, removed all components... reset the pmu by holding the button on the mobo.

2. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

Hmm from my research looks like it MAY be a powersupply. OF course this generation apple switched from a genaric ATX supply

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

if it's not giving you any diagnostic beeps after power-up, it's probably the PSU. Otherwise it would be failing POST and it would tell you about it. I once repaired a fan in a PSU from that model that had stopped spinning, and that revived the computer for me :dunno: but not before it overvolted on the +5V rail and blew up a HDD controller board :mad:

4. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

What did you end up doing to fix the psu? maybe ill pull the sucker apart and check it out.

5. FlyNReeLow

FlyNReeLow Elite Member #200

maybe buy another one... :hsughno:

6. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

They're 150-200 bucks normally on ebay. I aint spending that much on this thing. I probably am gonna part it and give a friend the processor and video card and tehn throw the rest on ebay i think.

Stupid apple for using non-standard parts...

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

You should also google around for using a standard ATX PSU in those model Macs. There are a couple workarounds that let you do so. The PowerMac PSUs from that era are nonstandard because they had to provide enough volts and power to run the Apple displays that were sold back then. If you aren't using an ADC-based monitor, you don't need to worry about it.