PowerMac G5 died....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ov3n, Apr 26, 2010.

1. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Had it for almost 5 years to the day and one of the CPU's (dual 2.3ghz) shit the bed. Ain't that some shit.
    I'm pretty pissed. I had to swap position with CPU2 and use the Apple System Diagnostics disc to run thermal calibration.

I expected to get a lot more life out of this thing. Especially since I replaced the nVidia 6800 that crapped out last year. It's a BTO option card so there were few out there and they pull a premium @ $250-300.

Debating on getting a 17" i7 MBP now.

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

5 years is pretty damn good for this computer. currently running dual 2.7ghz g5's but they were replaced a couple years back when my cooling system leaked. They were brand new when they replaced it so it's like i have a fairly new system.

i7 MBP? hmmm...

3. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

g5s are just terribly designed machines... they all have issues. my dual 2.0ghz has had constant issues here and there. fast machine still today tho. ill keep it running as long as i can, its great to know im still running the last powerpc based systems.

4. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

5 years is pretty short IMO. Computer still ran everything fine (7Gb of RAM helped). Even CS4 was smooth because the gfx card was supported by the gpu acceleration feature. I fully expected to get 7yrs out of this with how it was performing.

My 500mhz P3 I built lasted me 9 years.

5. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Logicboard and CPU failure are the biggest issues with these.

6. 5SpeedSER

5SpeedSER OT Supporter

sounds about right.

mine has been through 3 video cards and 2 hard drives. LOL

7. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Yea, I'm dealing w/a dude lowballing me on everything I throw at him. The gfx card goes for $250 all day on eBay. The legit 6800's for the Mac, not the reflashed PC ones that require a molex connection. I said I'd sell it for $200 and he fucking goes "will ya take $100 for it?".

Same w/the RAM. It's Crucial PC3200 and like 2yrs old. Still sells for $45 new so I was going $40ea. He's quoting me prices of the value RAM off microcenter.

:ugh:

8. tenplanescrashing

Gotta love Craigslist! :rofl:

But I said 5 years just because of the issues known with the machines, especially the dual 2.0 & 2.3's (or 2.5's, can't remember what they made).

If you wanted to find parts and replace them, i'm pretty sure it would be pretty easy. Or you can just part it out yourself and get a new machine.

BTW, did you ever have issues with internet connections dropping? I can't stream to an airport express from my G5 as the connection "times out" for some reason. My MBP does it just fine, but not the G5.

9. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Listing is here for anyone wanting parts: http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/sys/1710896764.html

I would just pop in a new set of CPU's but it's so fucking expensive. Even the 2.0Ghz ones are in the $300 range. I got excited at finding ONE 2.3Ghz cpu but it turns out it was from the dual-core model. Mine is the dual-cpu.

So right now it's worth more as parts. This WAS listed for $400 for everything still in the case. Guy wanted to give me $200 (FUCK YOU!). I argued that the card and ram were worth more than what I was asking anyway. So he asks me for pricing on individual parts and wants the RAM, gfx card and Airport/BT card. Looked it all up and told him it'd be like $500 so he then offers me $300 for everything! :banghead:

10. tenplanescrashing

Rule of craigslist:
    1. You post it at $100, they'll offer $50
    2. You want $100 and you post it at $100, they'll still offer $50
    3. You want $100 and you post it at $200, they'll offer $100

So if you adjust those rules to your liking, you'll get what you want. Oh, and OBO or price negotiable should always be used with Rule 3.

11. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

Ordering an i7 MBP w/500gb 7200 RPM drive tomorrow. Have a few things from Amazon coming in too. Adapter to go from the MBP to my 23" ACD, an arch stand and the wrong sized case I have to return.

12. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

It's in the mail :eek:

13. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

Excellent.

14. ov3n

ov3n Active Member

On the truck out for delivery!