Powerline networking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NisAznMonk, May 23, 2004.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Does anyone have a opinion on this? How was your experience? I have a Linksys wireless router and signal booster already, but my parent's house is a bit too big to reach downstairs into the kitchen. I was considering setting up a powerline network as well, and having another wireless access point in the kitchen. I got this idea from the June 2004 issue of Sound & Vision (pg. 93). I still have no idea how I started getting this magazine :hs:

2. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I guess you could do it. Not going to be really fast and obviously have to be on the same circuit. Use a home phoneline networking kit, i'll sell you one for $30 shipped :hs:

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've done four powerline setups. You don't have to be on the same circuit. Two of the installs I did were in houses well over 4000 sq ft and other other two were close. The only time I had any real trouble was when I got really weak and intermittent signal to one bridge only to discover that the house had been added onto. Two of the bridges were in the addition and one was in the old part of the house. The new part of the house had its own electrical panel. I used Netgear XE102 bridges each time. Of the four installs I did, three managed speed at or near the 14Mbit max of the device while one ran around 3Mbit. Not great, but fine for Internet sharing.