Powerlifting competition rules for bench press - question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Rich_S, Jun 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich_S

Rich_S New Member

I always thought you were supposed to bring the bar down to your chest, stop, and then wait for the judge to say "press" before you pushed it up. Yet in like 90% of the vids I see on the net of bench press comps (and I'm talking big contests and world records) the guy will just pause for a tiny fraction of a second and then press with no audible command. In many cases, even the pause is questionable and it looks like a touch and go rep. Is this a federation thing?

2. Doronin

Doronin New Member

I've attended several bench press meets and it varies from meet to meet. Some of them are really anal about commands and perfect textbook forms and whatnot. Others just want to put on a show and make sure the guys can get a shitload of weight up to please the crowd that shows up. Depends on who is putting on the show.

Now that I remember, one meet I went to, which was all about some commands, even had a starting light like you would see at the starting line of a drag strip and were red lighting and green lighting lifts. That's not uncommon from what I understand.

3. Rich_S

Rich_S New Member

That's what I figured. Thanks for verifying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.