Powering an LCD screen?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eclipsetips, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Eclipsetips

Eclipsetips New Member

After reading through and watching the videos of how to make a Projector on www20.TomsHardware.com, i decided that I would like to try this and bought a 15" UXGA TFT ACTIVE MATRIX LCD Screen. It was a great deal, previously pulled from a Dell Laptop, but I am now wondering how I will power and use this screen as a display. If anyone knows how to accomplish this please feel free to help. thanks.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you need an inverter to power the screen's backlight. You will also need a controller to have a usable VGA input. Good luck finding a suitable controller -- they're hard to come by, and usually expensive.

It may not be worth it to you... You can get a decent projector for only a couple hundred bucks used. And from what I hear about the home-made ones, they are extremely fuzzy and not at all bright.

I consider it like the pringles cantenna... Fun weekend project, but not something I'd actually use daily.

3. percent

percent deluded

lcd inverters are a bitch.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the inverters are pretty easy. the controller is what I find damn-near impossible, unless you find the panel and the controller in a pair.

5. Eclipsetips

Eclipsetips New Member

any places to find these?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

inverters? or controllers?

inverters can be found online for pretty cheap. Controllers are damn-near impossible to find.

7. Eclipsetips

Eclipsetips New Member

damn, well if i make this projector all ill need is the controller. because the overhead will be the back light. theres no place to get one huh?

8. Eclipsetips

Eclipsetips New Member

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you were okay paying $300 to make one, you could probably pick up a real projector for that price (used of course, but in great condition).

You may have to do some hunting, but a nice DLP could be had for under $300. check the paper, swap meets, ebay, etc.

10. nietsni3

nietsni3 Guest

if you want to go with the guide on Tommy hardware, consider this problem:
    would you be able to handle the cleaning job once in a while when the dust built up under the screen due to the ghetto cooling system (fans blowin directly under the screen)?
    can you make sure that you wont break it while using? obviously this home made projector is extremely fragile.
    how long will it last?

11. Eclipsetips

Eclipsetips New Member

im not too concerned... it was more of a fun ( i like building crap) kind of thing and it would be sweet for games etc. Also with a steady amount of air, as you said, would prevent excess dust and I also had plans for a modified cooling system.