Poweredge 350 questions

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jun 26, 2007.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Got this old clunky server I keep around for linux stuff anyway im gonna give it to a friend but they dont know linux so im putting windows on it. Anyway im having some problems with it. The two drives I have I think were going bad anyway smartctl reported loads of errors and 16mb/sec write speeds but for what I needed it was fine one 30gig another 40gig. However I could not load any windows OS on it but windows 2000 (vista is out of the question it wouldnt hold it anyway, XP, ME, or 98) without some sort of blue screen error. I know the media is fine so I thought maybe the drives finally had it. So I tried a new drive and yet I got the same error again?? So I booted it with a memory test and checkups but everything seemed fine, changed the CD rom to another one and its installing XP now but going SLOW as hell then it stops saying it cant find a specific file, try another XP disk itll load a few files stops again says same thing. UgH Windows 98, and ME will give this cannot fine \system\file.sys or something... XP will stop during install saying it cannot find a file, none specific does it for alot of files. I know the media CDs are fine as Ive used them tons. One of them is brand new April 2007 Release. Win2000 Pro will install fine just not the ideal OS lol guess for what they need it for it'd be ok but its bugging me.

I dont think drive size is the issue but Im not sure as I have had XP on it long time back but I since removed it for Fedora, then BSD finally.

The specs page says the capacity for this server is up to 60 gigs, im using an 80 gig drive does that specifically mean itll only take up to 80 gigs or what?

Specs http://www.6thplanet.com/store/technical/cos_poweredge_350.html

Thanks.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have one of those at work. Any money you spend on that machine will be a waste. It's too old.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

oh yea i know is an old system but it does come in handy to keep your old shit around just dont know why its OS picky if that makes any sense

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

might have solved my own problem though I dont know why, XP will install but XP with SP2 wont. ??? Is there differences in IDE drivers or something? odd