PowerBookG4 running SUPER sluggish/slow..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vurb, Nov 17, 2006.

1. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

I've got a PBook G4 1.33 that is running SLOOWW all the sudden today. Takes forever to start up and to open a program, say itunes for instance, takes over a minute. Any ideas?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

run activity monitor and see whats going on

3. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Tried a restart and now it won't even start up. It's been sitting at the start up screen with the gray background with the Apple logo and the progress indicator for 15 minutes now. Guess I'm going to shut it down and then try a safe boot..

4. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

might be some ram failing or a number of things :dunno:

5. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

HDD I'm thinking.

6. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Started up fine with the restore disk. Ran verify and then restarted. Started up a little slowly and then went downhill from there.

I was able to run SMARTReporter though and it verified the HDD :dunno:

Went to open something else though and it's been the circling beachball for the past 5 mins.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2006
  7. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

sounds like you need to run the hardware diagnostic. I'm willing to bet you got either bad ram, or you've got some file corruption. Just in case, run verification/repair again, and also repair your permissions.

you haven't dropped yours anytime lately? Mine started doing the same thing when my drive crapped out after the strap on my laptop bag broke and it fell to the concrete. Took several days for the problem to develope into a serious one, wich gave me enough time to back eveything up. Got a 100gig drive and installed it myself.

8. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Just ran the Extended Hardware Test and it passed on all devices. Hasn't been dropped ever.

I am now in the process of running Disk Repair and then will do Permissions Repair and report back..

9. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Disk Repair ran fine and fixed a few things.

I then ran permissions repair and it found tons of problems. However it was about 95% done and then popped up an error that said

"Disk Utility Internal Error

Disk Utility has lost its connection with the Disk Management Tool and cannot continue. Please quit and relaunch Disk Utility."

and the only button to select is Quit. But when you hit it, it warns you that a Disk Utility operation is still in progress and that quitting in the middle could leave a disc non-operational. :hsugh:

Any ideas anyone? Guess I'm gonna try to repair permissions again and hope I don't get the same error..

10. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Tried to run it again and it froze in the checking permissions stage early on. Searched macworld and it looks like iTunes has been known to cause this problem. Says to drag it out of the applications folder to the desktop and the run Permissions Repair again. Problem is now it won't boot up from the hard disk again. Stuck spinning at the boot screen.

I think this issue is flying out of the realm of help that the Mac Shack is willing to/can provide. I think I'm gonna have to move this on over to a dedicated mac forum. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Ok, I've got it down to there being a problem with the Hard Drive being corrupted. Won't startup from safe boot, shuts down while trying to startup, etc.

Started up in single user mode and put in the /sbin/fsck -fy. And it came back with "invalid node structure. Volume check failed". I guess my next step is to try Disk Warrior.