Powerbook vs. iBook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by D Hurr is like, Dec 15, 2006.

1. D Hurr is like

D Hurr is like He's got two left feet and he bites my moves.

I want to buy a Mac Laptop, essentially for school purposes

I have a black Macbook that I adore and refuse to carry everyday to school and such, I'd rather just spend $400-500 on ebay and get a G4 Powerbook or iBook

I'm basically looking for any input on how well these G4 Processed machines run with the 1.0g processor or 1.25 of 1.42, and also any reccommendations on RAM and the like.

It will be used for general web browsing, AIM and word processing only, However I really dislike a machine to run slowly or lag much, I like very smooth operation...and am quite anal about it lol

Cliffs: Input on G4 Notebooks

2. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

if its just for school just get a cheap g4 ibook. i had one awhile ago and it was nice. resolution sucked though :(

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Uhh, I'm sorry, but your idea seems stupid to me.

Just use your macbook and don't get your pussy hurt if you get a scratch on it. I take my macbook pro to class with me every single day, and I've yet to put a single scratch/ mark on it, or damage it at all.

Just get a sleve or a nice carrying bag, and save yourself $500.

Just my opinion.

4. Blair

Blair New Member

i agree with xenon, these things dont last forever use it while its the hotness. i just bought a 12'' ibook for mobile purposes since my nice comp is a 20'' imac (not the most portable) and i would gladly carry a macbook if it was an option.

5. MonkMonk

MonkMonk New Member

I also had the same idea, one that I wouldn't have to worry about as much, and I can totally feel where you are coming from.

6. Legend Zero

Legend Zero OT Supporter

what the freak? that's the purpose of a laptop.. not to just sit their on some desk, but to be mobil with it, yeah it may get a scratch it on that one unlucky day.. but i'm sure you don't plan to keep this thing more than a couple years at most?

wow, why in the world would you want to waste $500 on a old laptop when you have a nice one right now?

but to answer your question, i'd say for what you want to do, 1.2ghz would probally be the best, consider the load times, i'd deffinetly max out the ram.. (realize either machine you get will seem loads slower than your macbook, since that is your reference point...)

goodluck.

7. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

Yeah it's an instrument, a tool meant to be used. Yes it looks nice, but it's not a fashion item :o