Powerbook stuck on grey screen

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by seventh circle, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ok so my powerbook updated some shit the other day. and it restarted. then when it gets to the grey screen it just stops. all i see is the apple and then it just stays there.

i searched grey screen on apple service site. i have a powerbook g4 1.67/1.5ghz and i reset the power management. i aloso tried reseting the nrvram in that "mac-boot" screen. and it's still stuck. i no longer have the apple phone service crap cause my 90 days is up.

im also at home and i left my install disk back at school. is there anything else i can do?

2. ahead

ahead New Member

when a OS update comes around you want to make sure your OS doesnt have any errors or corruption and you want to repair disk permissions, or sometimes this will happen. reseting the pram and nvram will do nothing in your situation. you have to try and repair the disk thats the only thing that may fix it, if that doesnt fix it then you have to do a archive and install then upgrade the OS again.

do you have any OS disks with you? because if you do, you can boot from it and try to repair the disk. or if you know how you can boot to single user mode and repair it that way.

if you dont have your disks boot the computer up and hold down the command key and S. it will bring you to single user mode, it will be a black screen with white text. once its done loading text enter in this command "fsck -fy" then hit return. that will try to repair the disk if there are any errors. once it is done type in reboot and hit return again. if that doesnt fix it then you most likely have to archive and install.

by the way, i dont recommend you putting in any other commands into single user mode. allot of problems can be caused that way. goodluck and let us know how it works out for you.

3. samxx

samxx self made man

try an applestore (if you have one)
    if not, target fire wire disk mode from another mac and check out the run disk utility on your hd (see if something got nuked)