** Powerbook Owners ** v.InsightNeeded

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Interlude, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Interlude

Interlude New Member

I'm on the verge of buying a 17" powerbook:noes:. I've a couple questions about the accessories such as wireless mouse, back pack, etc.

A).Regarding the wireless mouse, the one from Apple. I looks cool, but I've been reading a lot of reviews that it eats up a lot of batteries. Does anyone have any experiences with teh mouse ?

B).About hte back pack. If I was to get this powerbok, I'll be using it with my THinkpad T42 as my 2 main computers for school. I can't completely ditch the PC yet becasue I'm an computer engineering student, and there are softwares that arent Mac compatible. I need a backpack that will securely hold the computer. I went to the apple store yesterday to take a look at some bags, but none of them really impressed me. I'm looking for a bag that will fit the powerbook(obviously) and a couple of books (2-3 inches in thinkness) and looks good. I've seen bags at www.booqbags.com that looks REALLY nice, but they are so expensive :wtc:...and I doubt those bags will fit the books i was talking about earlier, if any at all. Any alternatives to carry your computers around. :x:

C). Is the applecare plan actually worth it, or is it just a total waste of money ? :o

Really looking foward to the switch :bigthumb: :wiggle:

2. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

i can only answer a: I wouldn't really recommend a bluetooth mouse for a powerbook. Once you get the apple one, you'll end up wanting more buttons, and i'm not sure how the battery life is on that either. In general though, bt mice aren't very accurate with powerbooks. I tried an mx900 for a few days, and i couldn't get over the fact that it didn't track very well. I ended up getting a wired mx510, it works really well. Ask yourself if you really need a wireless mouse. When you are away from a desk, the trackpad on my powerbook works good enough to the point where i'm not annoyed by the transition from mouse to trackpad.

sorry for getting a little long on that response, i got carried away :o

3. Interlude

Interlude New Member

I think i really need a wireless mouse, i cant stand the trackpad :o

4. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

have you tried using one on the current powerbooks? the two finger scrolling makes a huge difference vs. normal trackpads.

5. Interlude

Interlude New Member

If i end up buying a powerbook, i guess i'll give it a try. If i end up liking it, another 50 bucks saved :bigthumb:

6. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

if you scroll down the page a few posts i asked the same question about the applecare plan. the response was, everyone had used it at one time or another.

7. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

I have the 17" i got the wireless mouse and keyboard (apple) and the targus backpack

8. Interlude

Interlude New Member

how do you like it ? :x:
    I dont really like the targus :o

9. Rev. Johnny Vegas

Rev. Johnny Vegas Rectal Ventriloquist

A) I use the Logitech MX900 bluetooth mouse. I love it. I don't use the base station or the batteries that come with it. I use regular old rechageable AA batteries in it and it works great. I've got the Apple bluetooth mouse and it works well, but I need more than 1 button. I rarely use it.

B) Check out www.ogio.com . They make absolutely awesome computer bags, including a couple of backpacks. I've got a Targus backpack that I use when I need to carry my laptop(s), camera, camcorder, etc. Its a decent bag, but I'm not taken by it - especially for the $75 it cost.

C) I don't have any experience with it personally, but I plan on purchasing it toward the end of my 15" PB's regular warranty.

10. Halon X

Halon X New Member

I've got a 17" and use a Brenthaven shoulder bag.

The brent haven has enough room inside for another laptop though it won't be as protected as the Powerbook in it's padded sleeve. I've carried two laptops in mine a couple times and have never had a problem.

I would avoid the Bluetooth mouse. It's not the most sensitive in the world and the lack of a right button sucked. If you want, I will sell you mine for $20.

I've never purchased Apple care on any of my computers and have yet to have a problem with them.

11. MrBucket

MrBucket OT Supporter

get the logitech v500 cordless mouse if you want a nice portable one

12. Interlude

Interlude New Member

Brenthaven Backpack for $300 :wtc:

13. ppops

ppops mark webber = teh future

A) I just got a corded mouse. One of these:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/productdetails.aspx?pid=003

It's really comfy and fits my hand perfectly. I wanted to get a bluetooth mouse but I didn't like the unresponsiveness and that fact that you had to worry about changing batteries and stuff.

B) Don't know.

C) I have had my powerbook around 3 months and haven't used applecare yet.........but I'd say get it just to be sure.

14. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

a. not very familiar with wireless mice
    b. I have an eastpak backpack for school and it has a laptop compartment. works great and isn't very obvious
    c. applecare is for just incase purposes. get it.