powerbook heating up?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fifty50, Nov 1, 2004.

1. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i recently purchased my 12" powerbook less than a month ago. in the beginning i didn't have this problem, but lately my powerbook has been getting very warm/hot. i loved my gf's iBook b/c you would NEVER hear the fans going so i got this powerbook thinking i wouldn't hear them either. but now that i have it, i hear them most of the time.

are they supposed to get this warm/hot? should they be quiet most of the time or be noisy like PC fans? should i bring it to the apple store to have them check it out?

any help would be appreciated. thanx

-rob

2. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

My GF's 15" gets quite hot, so it may be the norm. I think the main reason is the case is aluminum which transfers heat very easily, so it prolly wouldn't be as noticable if it had a plastic case.

3. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

yea, thats what i was assuming as well

4. Kriddaw

Kriddaw More than meets the eye.

My powerbook gets hot and the fan starts kickin' when I'm pushing it but if I'm just surfing the internet or listening to music it's usually just warm and silent.

5. DrCarlo

DrCarlo Its not that im lazy, its just that I dont care.

The apple laptops are not too bad in comparison to others. My toshiba gets very hot. It also depends what surface you have it on..

6. Shogun

Shogun Turntable tactician

I have a 17" and it doesnt heat up at all...but i wouldnt worry about it, just keep thr fan unobstructed :slap:

7. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

I had a 12" and it did the same. Reset the power management and make sure all you software updates are done. I us a plastic cutting board under my laptop if I using in bed or on my lap. This also helps a lot.

8. unvme4EVER

unvme4EVER Guest

Well if you are using the power adapter in your laptop just take out the battery. I have a 15" Ti Powerbook and I just take out the battery while using it plugged in. When I run it using just the battery it nevers gets hot. I think the battery is what gets so hot while it is plugged in to a receptacle.