powerbook heat warp :noes:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tefnut, Jun 22, 2005.

1. tefnut

tefnut build

So, about 9 months ago i got a nice 15" PB. All lovely. Then after a couple of months, through no ill-treatment from me, a little warp in the casing develops above the CD/DVD slot. [See image at bottom of post] Excessive heat, I guessed. Well, functionality seemed to remain at the time, so I ignored the little visual imperfection since I loved the PB so much.

Fast forward another couple of months to tonight, and the CD/DVD slot no longer works. You know when you put in a disc 3/4 of the way in, a little motor snaps it up to pull it inside? That doesn't happen anymore. Instead, I can push it in 9/10ths, and it still won't accept any disc.

I'm guessing that either the case just warped a little more to effectively damage the disc mechanism for good, or something else inside the CD/DVD device broke.

Either way I'm not too happy, since even with warranty this will be a giant pain in the ass to fix. I don't want to transfer all of my stuff to a replacement PB :wtc:

Anyone have any similar experience with case warp leading to CD/DVD drive malfunction? Has Apple fessed up to the problem, so that I won't have to jump through hoops to get this thing replaced?

Image of warp as it is now.

[​IMG]

2. Jhegro

Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

thats not heat warp, i think thats because someone pressed down on the bay.

my G4 titanium has a crack because titanium is brittle unlike aluminium. looks like that one just bent. oh, and apple wont fix it because it was caused by you, its not defect. atleast thats what they said for my case.

3. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

just as an fyi, if you are talking about the optical drive bezel around your titanium PB as being the place that has the crack, that is a plastic bezel.

How do I know? I snapped a client's bezel once while installing an airport card :mad: :rl: shitty place for apple to cheap out on materials, that bezel is the anchor for two hinge points on the bottom lid of the original TiBooks.

4. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

I don't think I said "bezel" enough in the last post :o

5. tefnut

tefnut build

How hard would you have to press down on the bay :hsugh: Because I've never dropped it, nor attacked it with a hammer, nor given it to anyone who would gleefully attack it with a hammer, etc. It pretty much lays on my desk, and when I'm typing, I rest my right palm on that area below the right side of the keyboard. Which I'd say is pretty normal computer use.

Maybe it's a bad picture, but the warp is really smooth and equal, something like a half-circle with a diameter of about 5 inches. I'd think it's damn near impossible for someone to make such a warp even if they tried. I'm trying to do it on the other side now, but the fucker won't budge. It looks like the plastic that lines the edges would snap first. I mean, I'm literally trying to consciously apply a great crushing force to the casing in unwarped places and it won't budge.

6. swisher59

swisher59 New Member

no i had the same exactly problem with pbook--it's totally heat warp.
    hate to say it, that's something you have to live with. the pbook should be called the doomedbook.
    soon you'll realize your top lid will be shaped like a u. no joke.

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

uBook :embd: