Power User vs. Administrator Privileges

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 5Gen_Prelude, Sep 26, 2003.

1. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I've hemmed and hawed about this for sometime at work. On one hand giving admin privileges (to that computer not the domain) to the individual user makes my life easier. I can walk up to the computer, install or change anything I want, then walk away. With Power Users, I have to goto the control panel, click users and passwords, change the level of the user to admin, logoff, login with their name and password, make any changes, go into the control panel, turn it back to power users, logoff. I know this isn't for EVERY thing you do, but some program require admin access to save specific program settings (like outlook wanting to be the defualt manager for example). Am I just clueless or just the only one who finds this a pain in the ass?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

When I would setup machines last summer I had to choose exactly the same thing. What we decided on was setting the level based on past experience. If the end user had a tendency to install shit and break things, we would make them a power user or even regular user. If they seemed to know what they were doing AND could be trusted we gave the admin.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

Well at least now I don't feel like I'm the only one with this issue. It wouldn't be so bad if you didn't have to logoff first (and then logon, then logoff and then logon one more time)

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If you could just su like in Linux................

5. 5Gen_Prelude

It's weird - you can run as... for some things but depending on how the program spawns it doesn't work