Power supply- what did i do wrong?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by solarsrt4, Feb 25, 2010.

1. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

So i've never known too much about Power Supplies before but i've built 3 comps already and never have had a problem. My wife's comp broke and i think i've traced it down to the PS. So i bought a Coolermaster Elite Power 460W. Immediately i open it up and see that the mobo connector isn't the right size for my wife's M2N-X, its shorter. So what did i do wrong? what spec did i order and what should i order? Is it because its an ASUS mobo? Her old PCP&C PS had seperate cables for the fans this one didn't, i found that kind of odd.

TIA.

2. kimsland

kimsland New Member

I haven't searched all the specs of your "M2N-X" computer.
    But the large 24Pin plug on the PowerSupply generally has an option to slide off the 4Pin extension at the end. Making it a ATX 20Pin plug.

Please confirm that this can be done. It should be able to, but not always.
    There will be another 4Pin plug (on the Power Supply) as well, this separate plug is for the CPU power on the Motherboard.

The fans can have an adapter (purchased separately) to plug into the smaller Molex power supply plugs to the Motherboard.

3. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

sweet i never noticed they could be merged to complete the 24pin plug. It wasn't merged when it came together but one of the 4 pin connectors has 2 tabs that when put next to the 20pin connector it seats it flush w/ the 20pin connector.

edit: comp still isn't working, back to the drawing board. thanks Kim.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. kimsland

kimsland New Member

I'm back online (for a short while). I'm glad to hear the Power Supply connector is sorted out.

But the "comp still isn't working" part is obviously a concern.
    Sometimes its just the CPU Fan that requires re-connecting, but you will need to give me more details of what specifically happens (or not happens)
    ie Any lights what so ever? Hard Drive spin up? Nothing?

5. Toology

Toology New Member

The first time I replaced a PSU I dropped a screw and it fell and rolled under my motherboard, and I didn't know any better, so I said oh well and left it.

Pressed power, BOOM, fried mobo. True story.

This has nothing to do with your problem! Glad I couldn't help!

6. kimsland

kimsland New Member

lol :big grin:

Ironcally, when I pull apart computers, especially laptops; there's always something floating about!

7. solarsrt4

solarsrt4 New Member

no, no missing hardware. i created a new thread though about the problem as a whole.